Front Brake Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Brake Problem

I have a 48 pan with a repo fron end. I am having trouble getting the front brake shoes to give me any kind of stopping. The brake cam is adjusted at about a 30 degree angle to the make to make intial contact with the drum and doesn leave much for friction. the obvious problem would seem that the shoes are worn but they are brand new from v-twin. do I have the correct shoes installed? or is this just another v-twin it doesn't match problem? I can email you a photo, file is too large to post.

ching chang brake shoe fix

need to take a square shim of sheet metal and tack weld it to brake shoe end that rides on cam. this will shim the shoes out for better contact surface . been there done that

Comment

None of the springer front brakes have much stopping power. If you get it to hold you stationary on hill then I’d say you have it set up about as good as its going to get. With out going to the evil disc brake setup, you’ll just have to adjust your riding style to your front brakes stopping power.
      ------------
      Steve
      AMCA #7300

Comment

I had my pads re-lined at Vintage Brake. It made a huge difference in my stopping power. The front brake was useless, however after the reline, I have to remember not to grab too much. It takes about a half second for them to heat up and, then they get real sticky real fast. I have the VB3000 in the back and something stickier up front, don’t remember the lining.

www.vintagebrake.com

Comment

Working...
        X