Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '58 Pan Questions...

Hi, does anybody knows the following:

1. My transmission cover has a neutral switch, but I have a 2 light dash. Was there a light installed somewherre else back in '58, or my transmission is incorrect for a '58? Can't find a consistant answer in several of my books...

2. What was the correct finish for the kicker arm? Painted or parkerized?

3. Anyone knows what are the correct "sping-special" colors for 1958?

4. what was the factory finish on the brake master cylinder?

Thanks for your help!
    Ran

1. the cover is wrong for 58---trans may be correct--check the date code to be sure

2. kicker arm is painted black

3. sabre gray metallic and birch white

4. cad plated

how did i do? i didn't know there was going to be a test!!!

Comment

Thank you! This helps me a lot!

Regards,
      Ran

Comment

Originally posted by whtaxl View Post
        Thank you! This helps me a lot!

Regards,
        Ran
        Ran I sent you private message
        Barry E Porter

Comment

I believe that master cylinder is painted silver

Comment

when i put it in muriatic acid it smoked indicating cad----until then i believed it was painted too

Comment

Now, what about the foot shifter lever mounting bracket -painted, cad or parkerized? I know the levers are cad but please correct me if I'm wrong..

Also, rear brake lever mounting bracket - cad, painted or parkerized?

Comment

Footshift and brake pedal brackets are parkerized. Shift lever is cad, brake pedal is parkerized. I think that it was changed to cad in 1960.

Comment

mousetrap cover cad plated too

Comment

The master cylinders that were sold in the 70s were painted silver. Maybe the earlier parts were cad plated.
                    VPH-D

Comment

Every early master cylinder I have here is painted. The MC wasn’t going to machine a cylinder and then cad plate it. The seal would last a week nor were they going to plate it then machine it. Just imagine the plating wearing and chipping in the bore. Just my nine cents. Bob L
                      Last edited by Robert Luland; 03-17-2010, 09:28 PM.
                      AMCA #3149
                      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

SO...... any points taken off for a painted master cylinder versus cad plated?

Comment

Bought an NOS master cylinder some years back. It is definitely plated. Still on the bike and still pretty shiny actually. I thought it was cad, but is it chrome maybe? did they make a chrome one? For 74-76 FX models maybe? Came in a red whit & blue AMF box.
                          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I don't remember any finish other than silver paint on factory master cylinders. The big twins gained some chrome parts for the 74 model year, but the master cylinder was not one of them.
                            Many aftermarket cylinders were chrome.
                            VPH-D

Comment

going back though some of this and found where he ask if he had the right dash that had 2 lights and no neutral light.
                              need to ask if the dash lights are close together(as one piece) or apart like the three dash but no neutral light because if they are apart it could be a handshift dash. Esquire

Comment

Working...
                              X