Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linkert carb

Hi all,
    I have a 64 FLH with a Linkert M74B. It seems to me that the throttle shaft is sloppy. I do not have the experiance to know how much play is acceptable. How can I determine this? If I need to replace the throttle shaft bushings, How do you remove them? Do you prees the new bushings in?

Thanks for any help and info

t-jacobs, There's a special tool, a kind of t-handled tap in combination with a drift, called "H-D Special Tool Set 12012-44D," the use of which is illustrated on page 124 of the old 1940-47 Knucklehead Service Manual.
    To give you the idea, there are four photos making up that page, and the captions read, "Drive Out Tap Turned into Worn Throttle Shaft Bushing," and "Driving Out Worn Bushing," and "Driving In New Bushing," and "Line Reaming Bushings." I don't see any mention of the procedure in the 48-57 or any later Panhead Service Manuals that I looked in.
    Parts are all available for the Linkert M-74B, along with almost everything else you could imagine needing to fix up your carb.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Liberty Motorcycle Specialties Inc -
      118 N Washington St, Lacon, IL 61540
      (309) 246-3509
      Ask for Tom
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
        Liberty Motorcycle Specialties Inc -
        118 N Washington St, Lacon, IL 61540
        (309) 246-3509
        Ask for Tom
        +1, hands down.

Comment

Thanks for the kind references!
          But please no phone calls, as I am hearing-impaired;
          My email is liberty@npoint.net

For those who do wish to wait forever for my extraordinarily slow services,
          A disposeable 7mm tap works best for knocking out the old bushings, as it will often lose teeth.

And beware of USA-made throttleshafts that are garbage!

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Linkert Carb

Thanks for the responses guys, but I still don't have a clue if I have too much play in the shaft or not. Is this something that can't be described and only felt or seen by an experienced carb guy?

Comment

T-jacobs!

In the absence of measuring instruments, just clean your shaft and inspect carefully it for any obvious wear.
              Sometime just a fresh quality shaft makes things sweet.

Re-sizing the bushings is definitely a touchy-feely thing, as even the sweetest will have some visible shake.

And I have had them !stick! in duty from a meticulous fit.

(Holy Toyota! Absolutely minimized clearances require hone fitting while torqued to a stress plate as if installed. The extra expense makes this impractical for commercial restorers, however I find it manditory for fitting oversized throttlediscs.
              The question of lubricants also rears its ugly whatever.)

Most folks can rebuild a Linkert on their kitchen table.
              (It helps to keep things clean.)

The whole point of vintage machines was to be user friendly.

The whole point of modern machines is to make you a slave until you throw it away and buy another.

.....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

T-Jacobs, I had a linkert I suspected of leaking real bad at the throttle shaft, I removed the throttle disc and packed bees wax around the shaft and bushing. I reinstalled the throttle disc and road tested my Indian, there was a noticeable difference for a few weeks and then back to the old problem. I then replaced the bushings as it had been confirmed as a problem.

Comment

Neil, never used beeswax before but we have been packing around throttle shafts with small dabs of wheel bearing grease to rule out air leakage at the shaft as a cause of poor off idle response for a long time.
                  Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Brian!

I resort to that myself, but....

How long can we expect that to last with modern digestive fuels?

No longer than beeswax, I fear.

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

We only use it for diagnostics these days, or the occasional emergency repair. Of course those emergency repairs sometimes lasted as long as a top end in years gone by.
                      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

If anyone discovers a lube in a tube that will not wash out in modern fuels, it will be quite a goober.

Baked-on molybdenum disulphide is a lubricant that stays put, and can even take up some minor clearances, but it does not form a seal.

...Cotten
                        Attached Files
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Linkert Carb

Thanks again for the ideas, Once I put the carb back on I think I will try the beeswax idea.

Comment

The answer to your original question is .0005", which is very slight indeed.

Comment

Working...
                            X