48 Pan Springer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Pan Springer

Hi All - I just picked up a '48 Pan (12,97x VIN) and it has an in-line fork. Is this correct or should it be off-set? I checked the Palmer book but I didn't find an exact answer. The book only states that the off-set was available as a parts counter replacement. Also - I tried getting a copy of the 'Panheads' book by Greg Field and I noticed that used copies are going for $300+...what gives? I managed to find a new copy in London for $30 but it's going to take a month to get it.

Thanks,
    Scott

AMCA #13993
    Scott
    AMCA# 13993

Wrong one. 48 was offset and the only year with the neck lock hole in the stem.
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Thanks for the help Robert...that confirms my suspicion. Mine is a nice fork nonetheless but I'll keep my eyes open for someone who wants to trade sometime in the future.
      Scott
      AMCA# 13993

Comment

The in-line Springer changed to "offset" Springer in mid-1946, if my memory serves.
        Gerry Lyons #607
        http://www.37ul.com/
        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Before you do anything drastic, check the lower triple tree to see if the center stem is offset from the two legs. It's not uncommon for someone to have put a set of inline bars on an offset springer by simply tweaking the stem.

The Palmer book incorrectly states that only the top is offset and the bottom is in line. This is however true of aftermarket offset springers.

Comment

Originally posted by knuckleheadtim View Post
            Before you do anything drastic, check the lower triple tree to see if the center stem is offset from the two legs. It's not uncommon for someone to have put a set of inline bars on an offset springer by simply tweaking the stem.

The Palmer book incorrectly states that only the top is offset and the bottom is in line. This is however true of aftermarket offset springers.
            I had an offset brought to me with the Factory tag still on it, identifying it to be a re-worked inline. If the Factory did it, that's good enough for me.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I'm a little lost here. Would they bend the tree or the stem? If they do it at the stem, how does the bearing race make proper contact or how do you get it on for that matter? Bob L
              AMCA #3149

Comment

Bob!

The stem is sweated integrally into the structure, making it incredible strong,
                yet the "tree" portion tweaks quite easily as the stem is pressed the desired direction.

At the base of the stem you will find a domed washer, which allows the bottom race to become self-aligning.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

A friend of mine bought a '46 25 years ago, and he couldn't keep a steering damper on it; the arm would always snap off at the fork end. It was the early frame with an "inline" spronger on it. I was with him one day when it broke, and the sidecar when up in the air and then the bike as it went into a violent shimmy. He managed to stop, but it was a near-death experience.

After a catastropic motor failure, he parked it and took it apart. We were accessing the pieces so he can do a restoration, and the serial number is in the 5,000 range, so he should run a bullneck with an offset springer. Further inspection revealed the springer was an offset straightened for inline bars. It was now apparent why the steering damper broke repeatedly: the friction surface on the bottom of the springer was not perpendicular to the stem, so when steered, the angle of the damper arm to the frame changed thus bending the arm up and down.

This wouldn't be a problem for most riders running without the hack, but it's something to be aware of. If the factory modified springers, I'm sure they addressed this detail.

Comment

Tim!

When I have straightened bent springers (a few), the bottom friction surface moved with the stem, because it is oven-sweated-silver-soldered (or whatever) to the rest of the structure to make it one piece. That's what I meant by "integral".

Try to pop a stem out and you'll see what I mean.

....Cotten
                    (PS: Liberty no longer offers chassis services.)
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-10-2010, 03:09 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

back again

Does anyone have a picture of a '48 spring fork laying around? I'm still looking for on offset fork and I can't find one anywhere...maybe I can pick one up at Oley in April. Of course, if I find one there I'll have the opportunity to pay 3x the price. I'm thinking I can just get a '46-'48 fork and machine a 1/2" hole in the stem for the steering lock?
                      Scott
                      AMCA# 13993

Comment

There really isn't much to see. You can clearly see an off set neck from an inline and keep in mind that the rockers are on the out side. Make damn sure you don't get over excited at a find and forget to look for the fender mounts. Make sure you take a tape measure with you. I will measure my 48 tomorrow from the rocker center to bottom of casting. Got to see if I have any photos for ya. Just take your time to eye ball it from every angle. If you only find the rear seaction dive on it. Fronts are a whole lot easier to come by. Bob L
                        AMCA #3149

Comment

Re-cycle..I have ridden my 48 Pan with inline fork for many years. Finally found a set of rear legs with offset stem, off 46 or 47. I'm just going to drill the neck stem to fit the lock. I
                          believe the front spring fork and rest of the parts from the inline fork are correct for either one.....If I'm wrong, someone please jump in and correct me.

One additional part you will need for the 48, is the ball bushing retainer plate, with ear to protect the wireing loom. Colony makes a repro, but if you can find an original, it seems to fit the springs better......Best of luck... Rod

Comment

i have a factory drilled 48 i would trade for undrilled if interested but it has been powdercoated black. done right though so you can see all the casting marks etc. im doing a 47

Comment

Originally posted by Re-cycleInc View Post
                              Does anyone have a picture of a '48 spring fork laying around? I'm still looking for on offset fork and I can't find one anywhere...maybe I can pick one up at Oley in April. Of course, if I find one there I'll have the opportunity to pay 3x the price. I'm thinking I can just get a '46-'48 fork and machine a 1/2" hole in the stem for the steering lock?
                              On the rear leg the measurement from the center of the rocker pivot hole up to the bottom of the casting were the rear leg attaches is 14.125”. These are the only file photos I have. Good luck on your quest. Look for our yellow canopy down by the fire station and introduce your self. Bob L
                              Attached Files
                              AMCA #3149

Comment

Working...
                              X