1965 FL - Rear Brake Hose Clamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 FL - Rear Brake Hose Clamp

Hi folks - thought I would stir things up a bit AFA a 1965 FL/H topic. On your original '65's what plating/coating was on your rear brake hose clamp? HD #9995.

This is 58 to 68+ part and no doubt went through some changes over the years.

On mine which I am 98% sure was original it was cad plated. BUT - when I look at factory photos, original owners manual photos it appears that the CORRECT (if you are going to be judged as a restoration) config would be either black painted or rubber coated. I say this because the early photos in this area are dark suggesting rubber coated/sleeve or painted black. I would find it unusual that HD painted this part (but what do I know?), guess if it was dark/black it could have also been parkerized.

Anyone have photos or experience on this little '65 FL/H nit for those of us that are anal about '65 pans?

My thoughts - the early photos were using what they had in the parts bin at the time and I'm guessing that the 64's had black ones. For 1965 early photo version or factory bike photo versions were black to get the collaterall out. But that after a certain production number they moved to cad.

It would be good to know what these looked like on first year shovels.

Just thought I'd start another fun topic I bet Chris is going to kick my butt over this one

BTW - I'm busy painting my HD NOS replacement stock chrome pipes silver so that I won't get gigged for chrome on my resto (not). Well maybe I'll paint the old chrome ones that came original on the bike silver so I have an extra set for judging if I need some points Just kidding! Just kidding! It's a 65 pan owners joke! Hmm, .... that might not be a bad idea actually...... On more serious note, in the 11/64 Christmas brochure those pipes sure look chrome to me/not painted like in the factory photos. So - if I'm carrying that '64 brochure with me and I have chrome NOS pipes, why should I take a gig?

Where's that guy that was going to do a book on '65 pans? I think he's retired to a rubber room. Gmarkas - u still out there?
    Last edited by rbenash; 01-26-2010, 10:06 AM.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Looks to be black with cadmium washer and parkerized screw. I can't tell from photo if it is paint or plastic. My old memory seems to recall paint.

Last edited by Chris Haynes; 01-26-2010, 11:42 AM.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Chris, it sure looks black there and in the photo in the owners handbook. That enlarged version you post of that area is very helpful. Anyone recall if there's was painted black or sleeved? My cadmium version is a full wrap clamp. Assuming the black one is the same. In the factory photo I have (and the one Paul Friebus has from the AMCA archive) there looks to be a bright edge on the left and right of the clamp (outside edges of the clamp) at the nut/bolt suggesting that the clamp itself was cad and had a sleeve on the area that contacted the hose.
      Last edited by rbenash; 01-27-2010, 01:29 PM.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

Here's some 9995 that are supposed to be NOS, look painted to me. Were these always black?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by rbenash; 02-08-2010, 07:35 AM.
        Ray
        AMCA #7140

Comment

I looked at the three NOS ones I have and they're completely painted.

Comment

I just got down and looked at mine and it is painted black.
            Underdoggie
            John Underwood
            AMCA#14400
            Central Illinois

Comment

Working...
            X