61 vs 74 Pan Cylinders '48-'52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 vs 74 Pan Cylinders '48-'52

Other than the bore diameter, what are the differences between 61 and 74 cylinders 1948-1952 since intake manifold length is different for each? I am trying to located a pair of 61 cylinders yet getting a good ID on these is more difficult than I thought.

Thanks in advance!

Marc

They are shorter and have less fin area - different casting entirely. I have a bunch of misc 61 Pan cylinders - will look in a day or so.

Jerry

Comment

FL pan cylinders are 5.330” in length from gasket to gasket. EL's are 5.205”. But the easiest way to spot an EL pan cylinder amongst a bunch of FL's is the thickness of the ridge that sticks into the head or the increased thickness of the spigot that sticks into the case. Since the cases and heads are machined the same for both configurations this area of the cylinder appears much thicker. They are hard not to spot.

Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Looking at the lip works only if they have not been bored way out like they usually are.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies! There are always a few "panhead cylinders" listed on Ebay The photos are not usually that good and the seller typically has no idea if they are from and EL or FL. I'm putting together a '48 and are in need of a pair of EL cylinders.

Cheers!

Marc

Comment

Marc Here is a top view of a FL Panhead cylinder on the left and a EL Panhead cylinder on the right. The fins on a FL cylinder extend a fair ways away from the machined surface where the head sits.

Jerry
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Jerry. This helps!

Comment

Working...
              X