62 FLH 12V coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 FLH 12V coils

Greetings Forum, am needing 12v coils to complete the conversion from 6V to 12V on my 62FLH. This bike of course has two each and I would like to replace with same size as to fit in original position. Am looking for help/suggestions, things to consider, where to look etc. Thank you much, Ken

hi ken---if you put 12 volt coils on you will still have to add a resistor to cut the voltage to 6v to the points or use coils with a built in resistor. otherwise it will burn the points much more frequently. it all works better in my experience to just use the external resistor in the line from the ignition to the coil and use the original coils. then all you have to do is change the generator and regulator and all the bulbs

Comment

Try looking for a set of Bosch coils. I used their 6V coils on my 62 many years ago when you couldn't get dual point coils. They may have a 12V that size.

Comment

12V coils

Thank you Gentlemen for your help, Ken.

Comment

I did it like that:

Comment

Pandit, can you share the info for the resistors, how many ohms, where to obtain them, are they to run the 6 vdc coils with the 12 vdc change over? Thanks Tim

Comment

These are Arcol resistors, 3.3ohms, 25W, here, use for 12V batterie with the original (6V) coils. 3000 mls on the road, the coils are still alive.

Comment

i have a complete setup timer coils and cover off a running motor. very clean and nice. make me an offer if anyone needs them

Comment

Working...
                X