Hydra-Glide tin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydra-Glide tin

Another Panhead mystery. What is the year fitment for the tin with the extra reinforcement at the bottom? This is a straight bar Hydra-glide stamped tin.
    Attached Files
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Lots of views, no answers. I know of only three of these. Here is a picture with the one previously shown and another. One of these came from a nice old original 51 EL, the bike unfortunately took out a row of mailboxes. The third one is black painted steel and it's on a 52 or 53 Servicar.
    Attached Files
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I've looked through all the pans I photgraphed over the past few years and I can find none out to 1954 wearing a tin with that extra rib. I don't take to many pics of 55 and newer stuff. So I'd guess they must be no earlier than 55. I'll look and see if I can find some photos of newer stuff later tonight.
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I have a good selection of tins too, went through them all today, none have that extra rib.

Comment

Thanks for weighing in guys. I can't imagine what possessed HD to change a die to include the extra rib. Just something I have been curious about for a long time.
          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Ya know, it could be an old reproduction from Nastalgiacycle. They made some interestingly updated parts, among other things.
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I don't know Brian, my pal was running the 51EL around back when Steve Iorio was still making and selling chopper parts as SIE. I'm convinced they are oem, but was the rib added for cosmetic,clearance, or strength reason.
              Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I have never seen a reproduction with the horizontal bars.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                  I have never seen a reproduction with the horizontal bars.
                  I assume your talking about the four ribs on each side. Check your V-twin catalog, #24-9923 & #24-9924 are straight rib reproductions. I on the other hand had not seen one with the additional rib under the headlight before. Don't know why they would add it, they didn't seem to crack there and you really can't see it right off the get go on a complete bike.
                  Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Neither I have seen that extra rib. Checked all my tins and the bike. Interesting.
                    Fiskis
                    AMCA #2124

Comment

Originally posted by bmh View Post
                      I assume your talking about the four ribs on each side. Check your V-twin catalog, #24-9923 & #24-9924 are straight rib reproductions. I on the other hand had not seen one with the additional rib under the headlight before. Don't know why they would add it, they didn't seem to crack there and you really can't see it right off the get go on a complete bike.
                      Just for general information, the V-Twin tins-- although they look very faithful and accurate-- are approximately 3/16" shorter than OEM. The bolt holes line up great, they fit on top just fine, but they are short on the bottom. Ever wonder why you can see a little of the spot welds on the cowbells? Not because of the wrong steering head cups or bearings; if the front fork panel is a V-twin, that's the reason.

Comment

Thanks, I've never actually used one and probably won't now. As always Taiwan Tedd is so close but not quite.
                        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
                        X