Initial Clutch Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Clutch Adjustment

Although I have a shovel, I also have a mousetrap ('66), so thought I'd find more help and knowledge in the Pan section..

I reassembled my restoration using the disks that were in it. Very little wear. and no uneven wear. I have some pretty good articles on mousetrap adjustment.. My question is about initial clutch adjustment. Without 100 trial and errors starting the bike, having oil everywhere, putting on and taking off the outer primary cover over and over... What is the initial static adjustment (in plain english for a 1/2 ass mechanic) to set up the clutch.. How far do you turn the 3 pressure plate nuts in to get an initial "close" adjustment?

Is it as simple as as tighten them one click (1/2 turn) at a time until I can't turn the rear tire (while in gear and on the bike stand)? I think I get the overall Mousetrap adjustment philosophy if I can get the clutch "close" before starting the mousetrap adjustments.

I'm almost ready to fire the motor for the first time since I tore her down a year ago!! (as I just got my gas tanks back after giving them to the painter the first week of April....you gotta love painters)...

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the help along the way... the journey is nearing completion! Hoping for a few short rides before the snow flies!

Steve

Set the stud nuts so that there is 31/32" between the face of the pressure plate and the back edge of the spring retainer plate. That dimension shouldn't change much. I usually set up the rest by feel, pump it up with the kicker like your gonna start it and slowly squeeze the clutch. You'll be able to feel exactly when and where the clutch starts to disengage. adjust as necessary to get the proper feel.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

by back edge of the spring retainer plate, do you mean the clutch disk side?

Thanks!!

Comment

The back edge is the surface the nuts tighten down on. 31/32" from there to the face of the pressure plate and you should be all set. I like to adjust out some of the wobble from the pressure plate after having them first set at the 31/32" distance.
        Last edited by Ohio-Rider; 10-13-2009, 05:23 AM.
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Originally posted by OldHog66 View Post
          by back edge of the spring retainer plate, do you mean the clutch disk side?
          Thanks!!
          Yes, that's what Ohio-Rider is saying, I think----- measure from the inside of the 'lip' facing the clutch disks.

Comment

Working...
          X