What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

Can anyone tell me what the silver canister that is attached to my positive post on my 48FL? It was installed when I bought the scoot? The black lead runs down and attaches directly to the relay terminal post on the 3-brush generator. Is this noise canceling device used on radio models? I'm not running a radio - so is it needed? Was also wondering if this could be causing my battery bleed down as well (if defective)!
    Thanks,
    William
    AMCA #10035
    Attached Files
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

I don't know, but could it just be a fuse?
    Mike

Comment

Maybe a diode of some sort?

Comment

Originally posted by wideglide38 View Post
        Can anyone tell me what the silver canister that is attached to my positive post on my 48FL? It was installed when I bought the scoot? The black lead runs down and attaches directly to the relay terminal post on the 3-brush generator. Is this noise canceling device used on radio models? I'm not running a radio - so is it needed? Was also wondering if this could be causing my battery bleed down as well (if defective)!
        Thanks,
        William
        AMCA #10035
        That's a relay eliminator (essentially a diode) to keep the battery from draining into the generator when the generator isn't producing. It replaces the Delco Remy cut out normally mounted on the right front of the engine (just in front of your timer/distributor). If defective it could cause battery bleed down, but it's unlikely to be defective ... Perry

Comment

Doesn't look like a fuse or a protective cover for a fuse. The canister is sealed - reminds me of a small capacitor. Looking through the 48-57 service manual, the Model 32E2R generator had a 0.25mf condenser attached to the relay terminal post & the commutator end cover. May be this is aftermarket.

A 0.0005mf condenser was also used with the GE ultra-high frequency radios. It was mounted under the end cover & connected from the positive brush holder to generator frame.

Thanks for all the comments & suggestions!

Comment

Thanks Perry. Funny things is I have both the relay eliminator and a cut-out relay. Any suggestions why both would be wired in? William

Comment

Is the cut-out relay a dummy, just for looks?
              VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by wideglide38 View Post
                Thanks Perry. Funny things is I have both the relay eliminator and a cut-out relay. Any suggestions why both would be wired in? William
                How many wires do you have on the generator's relay terminal? The fact the the eliminator is wired directly from the battery positive to the generator relay says it's in use. Hopefully the only wire on the relay terminal is from it. Many repro mechanical cut outs are made wrong and weld their points together. It could be that happened and the eliminator was installed and the (failed) cut out was left in place. Does the generator idiot light on your dash function as it should? ... Perry

Comment

Perry, There are 3 wires on the relay post - one being the eliminator (and 2 wires on the switch terminal post). I'm going to trace them out this weekend. The cut-out relay has only 1 wire terminated, the red positive wire & no other wires - unlike the wiring diagram in the manual. Yes the gen light operates: on (lit) during kicking (switch in ignition only), on when idling (switched to lights) and out (unlit) when throttling up.
                  William

Comment

Working...
                  X