Big Bags in 61?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bags in 61?

Found this pretty unmolested 61 Duo-Glide with strange large leather bags. Anyone familiar with them? The saddle skirt is of similar design.

Regards Fiskis
    Attached Files
    AMCA #2124

Originally posted by Fiskis View Post
    Found this pretty unmolested 61 Duo-Glide with strange large leather bags. Anyone familiar with them? The saddle skirt is of similar design.

Regards Fiskis
    Obviously not the right bags for a 1961.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thats why I described them as strange. So you don't know who made them and when? They are so large, that they had to put extensions on the mufflers!

Best regards
      Fiskis
      AMCA #2124

Comment

I have a pair of those bags. I was told many years ago that they were called "Elgin" bags and came from a company in Elgin, Ill. Don't know if that is true but I can look through some period magazines and see if i find an ad for them. Mine came off a '65 FL. I also have a smaller set that are more streamlined and were made for rigid frames. Those big ones were for swingarm models. I have never seen any other bags with leather that thick! Michael Paquette (Worsham Castle) may know about them.
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I believe those are Brookfield bags, from Brookfield, Ill. They also made seats.

Comment

It makes sense since I heard of them about 30 years ago and most folks out here would not have a clue about towns in IL and Elgin was the first think that popped into their mind. At least the state should be right! Thanks Dave.
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Brookfield bags

Well I guess I should have just dug out the postcard first but I was excited about having an answer. The bag isn't the same model but the signature stitching on the bag lid shows it's a Brookfield bag.
              Dave
              P.S. nice bike

Comment

Nice Motorcycle

Nice find btw ..That's what we all like to see too. Kindof like the first glance as you enter a Garage of a for sale motorcycle the feeling you get when our eyes feast all over it after hearing about it. Good luck to ya. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

They are Brookfield bags--M

Comment

Thanks for the help and interest everyone. Do you Michael P think I should hold on to them if they are contemporary accessories?

Yes the bike was a nice find. I think and hope that it is an original paint bike, black was available without tank stripes in 61, I believe. All original wiring and the right bolts are in the right holes. Looks like motor has never been apart.

The spotlights are Unity.

Magic, this is the garage it came from.

Regards
                    Fiskis
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Fiskis; 08-30-2009, 07:17 PM.
                    AMCA #2124

Comment

I don't know what the judges would say, but they were a period accessory. Fact was that many guys hated those plastic kidney bean bags. The brookfield was seen as a hand made premium product, made of leather, the way Harley bags were from the beginning. As an impressionable kid in the 60's, I lived a block away from the local harley dealer. There was always a row of bikes at the curb, and 3 out of 4 dressers had those bags. Or maybe it was just a midwestern thing.
                      A. Bernhardt
                      AMCA# 9726

Comment

As Alex states, Brookfield bags and seats were very popular in the early 1960's. As far as being a Midwest trend, I believe they were manufactured somewhere in Illinois or at least in the midwest . As far as not being correct, of course they were!!! These did not have mount plates for rigid frames but were made to mount on the swingarm strut, so they are true period accessory bags. I would keep them as they are roomy as heck, much larger than the Bubblebags or the later fiberglass bags. There is a set of white ones with the matching Buddy seat that I restored on my website. After doing these bags ( and going through saddlebag restoration rehab) I damned near swore off doing anything in white again!!! My opinion: KEEPERS---Michael--6671

Comment

Thanks everyone for helping out. I'll keep the bags, and they can always be removed for judging. I won't send the monster bags to you Michael P, but maybe the seat, as a previous owner had it poorly redone in vinyl as the original leather was cracked.
                          Regards Fiskis
                          AMCA #2124

Comment

Update. The 1961 Duo-Glide is alive and kicking just in time to celebrate its 50th birthday. The Brookfield bags are back in the game repaired by a horsesaddle shop. Unfortunately the riding season is over this time, so it will be spring until I can try out my "modern Harley". Never before have I had a bike with foot shift and handclutch and therefore never ridden such a thing on open roads! Most fellow bikers have never seen a handshift before and wonder how you can handle that. During 43 years I have answered that I am not sure how to handle a footshift!

Although the Duo appeared low-milage and unmolested with the right bolts in the right holes, it turned out to be a two-year restoration project. Knowing it had been out of use for twenty-odd years, it was carefully dis-assembled for cleaning and checking. Obviously it had falled off a bridge or something sometime as there was waterdamage and rust everywhere inside. Fortunately it had never been started since so no further damage had happened. Now every bearing is new along with normal overhaul parts. Cylinders and pistons are standard size with no wear. The motor, trans or wheel hubs had never been apart before. It runs beatifully with absolutely quiet timing gears. The rythm caused by the twin point breaker is very different from my 52 Pan or 47 Knuck. The Superior "megaphones" exhaust extenders give an eerie note to the song.

Regards Fiskis
                            Last edited by Fiskis; 10-27-2011, 08:14 PM.
                            AMCA #2124

Comment

Congratulations on the completion of your project and thanks for the inspiration. My own Duo-Glide project has been stalled out for years. The trans is done, the motor has been ready for final assembly for around 50 new moons and the frame that was bare and ready for detail and paint is now the light orange color of rust. Time to finish it. I'm sure you will enjoy your new restoration and I bet it won't be long before you stop trying to use the shifter for a clutch and reaching for a lever by the tank that's just not there.
                              Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Working...
                              X