Panhead aircleaner ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead aircleaner ?

Trying to figure year useage. 4 bolt pattern backing plate w/flat (no lettering) cleaner cover. Did it have the standard cross piece accross the front of backing plate to screw in the front cover.
    Thanx in advance,
    G.D.
    THUMPERS Inc.
    Classic Harley Davidson Motorcycles
    Speed-Custom-Resto
    386-960-5736

Should have. How else would it attach?
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
      Trying to figure year useage. 4 bolt pattern backing plate w/flat (no lettering) cleaner cover. Did it have the standard cross piece accross the front of backing plate to screw in the front cover.
      Thanx in advance,
      G.D.
      ANYBODY ??? On the year fitment.........
      THUMPERS Inc.
      Speed-Custom-Resto
      386-960-5736

Comment

How about a picture? Your description is not telling much about it.
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

There were only 2 types of of Panhead air filters, the J slot and the -56 center screw type. The -56 type used a 4 screw mounting bracket that bolted to the face of the carb to mount the cover.
          VPH-D

Comment

VPH-D,
            The cover he describes as no lettering, which points to some other type. He also says flat, which is a little confusing as the covers are convex. And the cover bracket is held on with 2 screws, not 4 as the backing plate is. Like I said, a picture would help. The flattest cover I am aware of is on an Indian.
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

the ones with no lettering is for a servicar and goes on a backing plate like this one. the mount is riveted on not bolted

Comment

Quite possibly it is a Servi-car cover on a Panhead backing plate.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

That backing plate never came on a panhead. This fits a side bowl DC linkert. Came on 66 Fl's, several years sportsters and servicars. Not sure what years on sportys or servis,,, but in the mid 60's.

Comment

where did i say it came off a panhead??

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anyone said it came on a panhead. The title of this thread is "Panhead aircleaner ?". I simply meant to say it is not a panhead aircleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack K View Post
                        Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anyone said it came on a panhead. The title of this thread is "Panhead aircleaner ?". I simply meant to say it is not a panhead aircleaner.
                        Yup, never thought of a DC, has the 4 bolt holes. The cover looks just like all of the stock Pan covers(rounded front) just doesn't have any lettering. DC Cover , Also ??
                        THUMPERS Inc.
                        Speed-Custom-Resto
                        386-960-5736

Comment

The backing plate can't be D-C if it has four holes, they are all three. But the plain cover could be!
                          Robbie
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Oops, I just remembered something relevent to this topic. The -56 cover was available at least in to the late 70s, however it was blank, no MOCO stamping. I ordered one at the time and was disappointed when it showed with no lettering.
                            VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                            X