tombstone question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tombstone question

I have the original tombstone taillight on my 50 pan. I would like to know what kind and where to get the rivits to hold the license plate bracket to the light. Anyone have some in their treasure chest they want to part with?

thanks
    Moose
    aka Glenn

Old Dude has the rivets. Be careful riveting the bracket back on, the metal they made these lights out of is kinda fragile. It's real easy to bust off one of the corners by the holes.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

thanks brian I will look at old dudes site
      Moose
      aka Glenn

Comment

Moose,

Let me know if you get it figured out, I have the same problem. Tombstone tailight with no license plate holder, I am worried about the riveting process.

joe

Comment

sure will as soon as I get the rivets also have to find out if the rivets go in from the back or front I asume the back I have the original holder but it was bolted on
          Moose
          aka Glenn

Comment

Rivets are placed through the tail light body from behind and peened over on the liscense bracket. This was done with some type of riveting machine, the rivets are fairly tough and I don't think the old ball peen hammer is the way to go. Early 51 pictured.

Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

thanks I've got access to a 50 ton or so press so I guess I could figure out how to set the rivets.

you guys are great I'm sure as I go on I'll have tons of more questions. trying to get as close to stock as possible on my restoration
              Moose
              aka Glenn

Comment

Not all Tombstones were rivited. Some had screws and nuts. There are also different spacing of the holes. Early rivited type had holes close to the edge. Later rivited and bolt on had holes closer together to avoid breaking.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                  sure will as soon as I get the rivets also have to find out if the rivets go in from the back or front I asume the back I have the original holder but it was bolted on
                  On 1947 and '48 models, the bracket came bolted on from the factory. 1949-54 changed to rivets. Just wondering if you have an earlier tail light....

Comment

bolted bracket on '50 pan

these bolts were on my 50 fl when i got it . original light ,original fender . bike was complete. Glenn where in nj are you ?

Comment

[QUOTE=flthead;81863]these bolts were on my 50 fl when i got it . original light ,original fender . bike was complete.

Uh-oh, another deviation from the blanket statement in Palmer's book. I totally believe you, Flat. Just another example that perhaps sometimes things got 'shuffled' a little on their way out the door of the factory.
                      Would the fact that the tail light is chrome have anything to do with the license plate bracket being bolted on instead of riveted? No, never mind, I have a chrome tail light body with a riveted bracket.....

Comment

It is quite possible that the original '50 lamp broke and was replaced 54 years ago. Just because yo found Uncle Willie's bike in the barn where is has been for 50 years doesn't mean that every part of it is original.
                        Besides maybe Uncle Willie's bike came with a painted tail lamp and he later upgraded to a chrome unit.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                          It is quite possible that the original '50 lamp broke and was replaced 54 years ago. Just because yo found Uncle Willie's bike in the barn where is has been for 50 years doesn't mean that every part of it is original.
                          Besides maybe Uncle Willie's bike came with a painted tail lamp and he later upgraded to a chrome unit.
                          not ,uncle willie .... was aunt sallies. wasn't trying to imply that it originaly was placed there or not ,just stating what i have

Comment

I'll get some pictures up and maybe we could tell what year the light is.

I'm in the Toms River New Jersey area
                            Moose
                            aka Glenn

Comment

Working...
                            X