1953 cam cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 cam cover

Just purchased a unrestored low mileage 53 Hydra-Glide with the later cam cover (4 fin) with a low vin#.Everything I've read says this is incorrect and should have an early cover.Also is there a 1953 only cam cover?Any comments?Thanks

Late 51-53 models used the sand cast eight rib cover in the accompanying photo. note that you can not see the breather tube inside as on the die cast ALCOA covers. The four rib did not come out until the 54 models. 54 and later machines use a different pinion shaft with a smaller diameter at the cover bushing so the swap back will most likely involve complete motor tear-down.

Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

What year is the motor in picture?

What year is that bike?Thanks Tom

Comment

I have a low mileage original paint 1953 Panhead. I am the 3rd owner. The serial number is 53FL270X. I was born in 1955 so obviously I have not been with the bike every day of its life. I do not claim to be an expert and I am still learning. I do however have 13 original paint Panheads and feel I am a pretty fair judge of what has been apart and what has been together from the factory. My 53 also has the 4 rib cam cover. It sure looks like it has been on there all its life. In fact, my 6000 mile original paint 52EL649X also has the 4 rib cover. It would take some pretty strong evidence to convince me that all 53's had 8 rib covers. Just my 2 cents. Not trying to say anybody else is right or wrong. John Lindemann
        Last edited by jwl; 06-22-2009, 09:30 PM.

Comment

i have a 53 cam cover like the one in the picture if you want to trade but i think john is right. a lot of things lapped over into other years. i'm beginning to wonder if the bullneck frame that my 43 motor was in could have been correct. there had to be some sort of experimentation going on at the factory in 43 and they knew they had a problem and needed a 30 degree frame. who knows what the engineers were doing when the rest of the factory was cranking out war machine 45 flatheads. maybe they put a few 43's together in 30 degree frames to see how they handled. they were getting paid the big bucks---might as well do something. it sure looked like the bike had never been apart

Comment

John is right on. Not a lot of 53's out there, but all I have seen have the 4 fin cover. Only thing that differs between the 53 cover and 54 is the pinion bushing.
            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

they will interchange if you change the pinion bushing. you have to use the bushing with the correct inside diameter. the outside diameter is the same.

Comment

Hey Tom, How about a couple of pictures of the new ride?
                Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

The thing I find most interesting about the 8 rib sandcast cover is, that is was resurected from the one year only 1940EL cover. I would be curious to hear theories about why H-D put the 8 rib sandcast cover on an 11 year hiatus and then brought it back in 1951. I can't think of another high visability part that has that history.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

On the theory of the sand cast cam covers I was told years ago and I believe by Howard Belmont that Alcoa went on strike and HD had to resort back to the cover that was last made in house (early 1940) and then never went back to Alcoa in later years.

Jerry

Comment

The story I heard is that Alcoa was not able to fill their contract with H-D because of their military contract commitments due to the Korean War. So H-D reverted to their old casting molds until the new cover was designed and built.
                      Robbie
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Does this mean an earlier cover --- like this one --- might be correct on a '52??
                        It has a Welsh plug where the overhead oiler fitting would be.
                        Attached Files

Comment

It makes sense that the problem must have been at Alcoa, and it makes sense that H-D would go back to the last in-house piece that would work. Rooster, I believe a 1952 motor should have the sandcast 8 rib cover as seen in the picture Brian posted. I believe the cover you have is an early pan cover if it has the plug. My 51FL cover had the casting amended to be solid with no plug.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

That's what I figured, Eric............

Comment

i dropped that cover off yesterday and will have it back this week----you gotta get rid of those button head screws anyway tom!!!!don't be bummed---yer gonna have a new motor----silver cylinders and all!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X