Piston pin lock 61 FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston pin lock 61 FL

I'm getting two stories on pin locks. Will part #22582-52 work in place of part #22581-32? If so is there a good reason to update while it's apart? Thanks again for all your help.....Lloyd
    Last edited by Lloyd; 06-06-2009, 04:16 PM.

Lloyd, I guess that depends on which piston set you intend to use. The 22582-52 locks are only used in big twin motors with the 73 and later style pistons. The 22581-32 would be correct for pistons and pins of the earlier type. these changes were part of AMF's great quest to improve rod angularity by shortening the rods a whopping 0.030". The piston sets themselves can be swapped back and forth, something I have used to advantage over the years as it makes small adjustments in compression possible. But I don't believe the pins and locks will interchange. At least I've never done it as I have seen firsthand what happens when a piston pin lock fails in service. Of course if your pistons are aftermarket.... who knows these days.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Brian, what had me confused was the 52 part number. So yesterday afternoon, I bought 22582-52. It is a huge difference as I am using OEM pistons and pins from 1961. I'm going to stick with the 22581-32 as it is the only one that will work. Thanks you, Lloyd

Comment

Most parts with a -52 number are K-model \ sporster parts. some of them found there way onto other models. Sometimes decades later.
        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
        X