65 fl shifter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 fl shifter problems

trying to figure out why the 65 won't shift. just replaced the starter and soleniod.
    test drove it, won't shift into any other higher gear. it did manage to shift into second, but could not shift back into first. think this could have anything to do with the parts that were replaced. at first when I started it and went into first, bike would surge forward and stall alomost like I wasn't using the clutch at all. had to adjust the clutch cable but before I changed out these parts it was shifting fine. this this could be related somehow ? I drained the oil and replaced, seems I had too much oil in there, and the surging parts went away, but it still won't shift into any higher gear.

I'll look at it from here :-)

First without the engine running and rocking the motorcycle back and forth slightly with no use of the clutch needed will the transmission shift then? Use your hand on the shifter to change gears while rocking the motorcycle back and forth which moves the transmission shafts it should shift, If not the problem lies in the transmission or possibly the shifter linkage. Was anything changed within the linkage adjustment or did anything fall and locking up in the area of the linkage behind the primary chaincase. The Clutch only allows smoother shifting between gears. Check those areas out first as it maybe something binding up with the linkage as it moves alot while shifting. It's odd that a motorcycle would shift fine before the work mentioned was done and not now. Prolly something simple. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Well I Tried that..

Seems to shift fine all through the grears both up and down. I did notice while I was riding it after the starter change, that when I tried to get it into second no matter how much downforce I used on the shifter it would not get into gear. I also notices that when using the clutch the actuating lever hits against the lower oil tank mount, but there is a wear mark on that lever so it's been doing that awhile. I'm wondering if possibly the clutch is shot?

ok I just adjusted the clutch cable so the lever would not be hitting the lower oil tank mount, just barley. now i'm getting a racheting sound when trying to get into first
      seems like that lever can't move forward enough to engage the clutch, weird as this was working fine before

it does seem to shift into first if that lever hits against the oil tank mount
      Last edited by 65eglide; 04-27-2009, 07:27 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Beg, borrow or steal a factory service manual. Get a machinists 6" ruler. Now adjust every part of your clutch by the book. It works wonders.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
        X