Axle Nut Torques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Nut Torques

Can anyone tell me what the axle nut torques are for a 48 Pan? I've looked through all my data & manuals with no luck!
    Thanks, William, AMCA 10035
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

50 ft/lbs. The only place I can find this actually printed in HD literature is the Harley Specification Manual 1970-83. Okay, I know it doesn't cover 1948, but I've always used 50 ft/lbs on my rigid frame bikes.

Comment

Thanks, Rooster! My newer model service manuals indicate the same thing, approx 50 ft.lbs. I wondered if the springer had a different value. Ride safe

Comment

I had another thought as to why the 48 service manual did not list torque specs - were torque wrenches available back in 48?

Comment

I'm sure they were, it wasn't that long ago. There are other torque values strangely not printed in the old manuals, too. I recently aquired a copy of the Harley Specification Manual 1970-83, it's a jewel! Doesn't go back into the older years, but some things don't change that much.....
          I'm sure you're fine with 50 ft/lbs. I used to always just pull hard with a 15-inch Crescent, then one extra tug. Using a torque wrench at least gives you a benchmark for tightness.

Comment

Ha-ha, didn't mean to make her sound so old! I called a friend who owns a 97 springer and he stated his service manual calls out 65 Ft.L.bs for the front axle castle nut. I'll work around 50 lbs and keep a eye on the axle! Thanks again & ride safe!

Comment

Wow ! I've never put a torque wrench to an axel nut. I guess I'm lucky to be alive.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

That makes two of us.
                ------------
                Steve
                AMCA #7300

Comment

I can't find the torque indicator on my factory axle wrench!! Yikes!!
                  Robbie
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

My guess here is that we can see the difference between mechanic and technician.
                    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by bmh View Post
                      My guess here is that we can see the difference between mechanic and technician.
                      No, I think what we're seeing here is the difference between someone who tried to answer an honest question intelligently, and a bunch of smart-ass know-it-alls who think thier **** doesn't stink.
                      I'll just try to help the guy by answering his question as best I can, without passing judgement on the validity or sensiblity of the question. I hope I never have the displeasure of meeting you stuck-up assholes. Have a nice day.

Comment

I was having a nice day until I read your reply Rooster. Having some fun is part of what makes this forum enjoyable. If wideglide38 was offended, I apologize.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                          I was having a nice day until I read your reply Rooster. Having some fun is part of what makes this forum enjoyable. If wideglide38 was offended, I apologize.
                          I can have some fun right along with the next guy, but it just didn't come across that way this time, and I may have over-reacted. There are these goofy little smiley-faces here to the right of this box that I've seen a lot of people use when they're joking around. Without them complete strangers like you and I have a hard time determining the 'tone of voice' of a post, I'm sure you realize that.
                          I like to joke around and have a little fun too, but I try not to intentionally do it at someone else's expense. I know you're one of the 'leaders' here, Exeric, and I can tell by your posts that you are experienced and knowledgable, and I respect that. I'm sure you would never belittle or deride someone who may be less knowledgable than you.

Comment

Damn Rooster, You must have this forum confused with some other one. We all like to have a bit of fun now and again here. I can assure you that my **** does stink and I'm not a smart ass but I am a dumb ass. I certainly never intended to offend anyone. If that was the case then I'll try to be more sesitive to your feelings. -Steve
                            ------------
                            Steve
                            AMCA #7300

Comment

For many years the recommended technique in the riders handbooks was "pulled very tight using the supplied wrench". Torque specs were never given, as the average rider had no concept of what those were. The factory wrench is short on purpose. It is nearly impossible for the regular guy to over-tighten the nuts with the factory wrench. And a 15" crescent is way too long, capable of doubling the intended tightness. Sorry if you were offended Rooster but this forum is no place for the thin skinned. Just remember that these comments are generalizations and not pointed at one particular member. And H-D was not he only company to not regularly print info on torque. Most manufacturers did not until the '60s and '70s. Old technology worked fine back then and works fine now.
                              Robbie
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X