speedo cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo cable

loking for advice on my 57 panhead speedo cable...what would be the proper lubrication for a new cable ? gease...oil...graphite... i dont know and hear all kinds of things...any advice greatly appreciated....thanks chris ........ also who makes a good one? thanks

Originally posted by cscott View Post
    loking for advice on my 57 panhead speedo cable...what would be the proper lubrication for a new cable ? gease...oil...graphite... i dont know and hear all kinds of things...any advice greatly appreciated....thanks chris ........ also who makes a good one? thanks
    Originally mixing graphite with motor oil was the way. This is messy as you pour a small amount of oil on a sheet of paper, mix the graphite in with the oil, them roll the speedometer in it to cover all areas.
    Today products like Drislide make the job much easier. Drislide is graphite mixed with a delivery agent that evaporates after it is applied. Hold out the cable and squirt on the Drislide. Let it cover the legnth of the cable and stick it back in.
    http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1247
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Agree with Chris Haynes above.

Regular petroleum based lubricants will seep through the outer casing right at the base clamp between the cylinders in short time causing discoloration as well as a smoking cable that you'll wonder why later, LOL ...we've all done it. Keep riding them, Merlin in Pa.

Comment

If doing this with an older cable should it be cleaned with like a parts cleaner or a solvent?

Comment

looking for advice on my 57 panhead speedo cable... ........ also who makes a good one? thanks
          Harley makes the good one. Repops are crap. If your outer housing is in good shape, best bet is to replace the inner core with an OEM part; look around, they are out there, but will cost ya. There are many sources for hard to find NOS parts. I recently bought a complete "reproduction" assembly for my '52 from NOS-Parts, and it took a liitle wanking to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by sknappy View Post
            If doing this with an older cable should it be cleaned with like a parts cleaner or a solvent?
            It doesn't matter, just clean it. I use good ol' gasoline.

Comment

I would clean the old core with brake clean or some such product before lubing an old cable.
              I've had John Bordas make me a couple of complete cables, one for a 45FL, and one for a 57FLH. They are made from NOS parts, and are really nice. 303-988-8828
              VPH-D

Comment

loking for advice on my 57 panhead speedo cable...what would be the proper lubrication for a new cable ?
                What's wrong with the factory recommended lubricant? OK, OK, I'm showing off a little here but give me a chance to brag, I paid large to get that jar in the box! ... Perry
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Perry Ruiter; 03-26-2009, 01:03 AM.

Comment

So Perry,
                  What was used previous to '48?
                  Robbie
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                    So Perry,
                    What was used previous to '48?
                    Robbie
                    I have no idea what the factory recommended prior to 48 ... Perry

Comment

Working...
                    X