Star Hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Hubs

Although I have a '66 Shovel, it was last year for Star Hubs, so am posting here on the Pan site to find more knowledge.

My wheels are Star but they are not original (I think). Looks like (by condition) the originals were replaced with an aftermarket wheel a long time ago. I'm thinking not original becasue the hub is chrome. I'm just tearning into them as part of my restoration process and have some questions. Is there a really good set of instructions out there anywhere for what amounts to "excessive play" or what parts need replaced and how to measure end play, etc? The HD service manual is pretty lacking on how to do all of this. It pretty much tells you to take it apart and put in bigger rollers if it's too loose.

I'd say with the wheel out of the bike and the axle inserted it has a little bit of wiggle...also not very scientific. I don't ride the bike on the freeway and I don't carve corners with her. The bearings look fine, no visible wear.

One more weird thing. On one of the hubs, the inner star has no grease fitting (or hole for one). Can't figure out how that happens?

Mostly looking for wisdom so the wheels don't fall off while I'm riding this summer.

Because the chrome is pretty good and the spokes (stainless) are good and everything is nice and tight..and I rode about 500 miles on her last summer after I bought it, I decided to put off the full restoration of the wheels till next winter (if I can). I'm guessing that a lot of guys rode a lot of miles on hubs a whole lot worse than these!

Steve

There was no grease zerk on the thrust side (star side) until 1955 and later. Could be you have original covers that were chromed at some point. (or maybe not.........!)
    Palmer's book has an excellent section on rebuilding star hubs, and actually the Panhead Service Manual has a good section on it as well, and also the earlier manual, 1940-47. I can walk you through it if need be, it's not rocket science. You'll need to check both radial play and thrust play (end-o). Plug-fit method is best on checking radial, but you'll need a supply of oversize rollers, being extremely careful not to mix them up. (Bearings are identical to crank bearings, so a motor-guy should have rollers)
    The thrust play, or end-o, is set be removing shims from the star side until .003 to .005 is reached. Standard shims are .002. The cork seal on the star side MUST be left out while setting thrust play, as it will mask the true tolerance, then installed after proper number of shims is determined.
    I have the manuals in digital format, I can send you pages if you need them.

Comment

Here's a set of photos of the original hubs from my 1965. Hope this helps.

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t=1f166a17.pbw
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

Looks like the right hubs to me. The flat cut on the top of the drum side flange is the giveaway. The earlier hubs had a rounded flange like the star side of the hub.
        Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Working...
        X