Star Hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Hubs

I have two stepped star hubs for my 1965 HD FLH. One has the spot welds for the jig, and one does not. Were all the original stepped hubs spot welded to hold position while being brazed? I have stripped them both and besides one not having the the spot welds, they look identical, down to the style and kind of brazing. I need to knnow before they are loaded and laced. thanks. Mike

Stepped hubs?? The step hubs are pre'40 type and not nearly strong enough for your '65 application. Don't lace them to your rims. Trade or sell them and get the correct ones and save yourself a headache, figuratively and literally!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Mike...My buddy Ron could probably use one of them. Paps

Comment

I guess I didn't say that right. These are just flat in the middle with the two ends attached. I thought that meant stepped. Now can I get an answer? Thanks. Mike

Comment

I am on the road with out Bruce's book with me. He describes, in detail, which hubs go on what years. How To Restore Your Harley-Davidson by Bruce Palmer III
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Chris. I checked the book. I definitely have the right hub. I was just wondering if there is a way to tell if they are original. They look like it. I see now that both are spot welded, then brazed. One has the sloppy spot welds on the inner edge of the flange, and the other has nice, neat spots centered on the flange. I suppose they are both original, but for all the work and mibney it takes, and the time I am putting into this set of wheels, I sure want to get it right. And I am no expert. I bought these completely empty, with no works. I got that all from V-twin. And now I read that there is no guarantee on the fit. Oh well, I will work that out when I come to it. These both look excellent, with little or no use, but I haven't checked the measuremens.
            Mike

Comment

I believe a 65 would have the last style of star hubs. On the last style, the spoke flanges are not identical. The brake side is more angular. I have thought this was something to do with juice brakes.
              VPH-D

Comment

VPH-D
                The last style of hubs is for '67 to '72 models and use brake drums that carry the bearings on one side and have a single ball/thrust bearing within and a screw on end cap similar to a Sportster hub. '65 hubs are still the early loose roller type.
                Robbie
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rub,
                  Sorry, I should have been more clear, the last style of the loose roller star hubs have the different spoke flanges.
                  VPH-D

Comment

Thanks for the response. But my question was, how to tell if they are oem, or aftermarket.
                    If there is a difference. Mike

Comment

Mine are stipped an repainted right now, going to try to get some detail photos. I know these are the originals. Don't know if that will help you or not.
                      Ray
                      AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by portagepan View Post
                        Thanks for the response. But my question was, how to tell if they are oem, or aftermarket.
                        If there is a difference. Mike
                        Generally speaking, the aftermarkets are chrome.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Repro Hubs and parts

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I see that 45 Parts Depot has repro hubs and parts, European made. I have not seen or used any of these, but 45 Parts Depot seems to have a good Reputation. (anyone here used thier hubs or hub parts?)The only way to stop having the tiwan crap dumped on us is to buy elsewhere whenever possible. May cost more, but the cheap crap is cheap because it's crap.
                          Doug.
                          Doug McLaughlin #6607
                          NorCal, USA

Comment

d.mac, i laced up a rim using one of kurts hubs. i havn't used it on the road yet but every thing i've bought thru him has been very good quality and he's very helpful and went out of his way to help me.

Comment

Working...
                            X