Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late 1955 FLH H-D correct parts?

Greetings!
    I need some help. I have a late '55 FLH that was judged at Eustis.

I had a tool box with a thumbscrew locking device installed on it, not a keyed type. (The keyed type box was in the saddle bags but I went with the thumbscrew type on the bike). The judges claimed the keyed type was correct. Which one is correct for a late '55 FLH? I do agree that early '55's had the thumbscrew.

I also had an air cleaner cover that had a riveted tag on the top of it. They said it should be stamped. I agree that the early '55's had a stamping. But what is correct for a late '55 FLH?

H-D didn't even make FLH's until mid year. I think I am in purgatory................

Any help from the experts out there would sure be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Wayne E. Feltham #4329

Factory photos of the EARLY 1955 shows key lock box. Factory photo of EARLY 1956 shows Thunbscrew. When did it change is anybodys guess.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Wayne,
      Thumbscrew toolbox, stamped air cleaner cover. Once an upgrade part replaced an earlier one such as the air cleaner cover it never went back to the earlier style. Why do you feel that you are in Purgatory! The only real differences in the '55 FL and FLH are the H in the serial#, the camshaft (marked HL), the fender emblem, and the factory ported heads. No great mysteries held in secret by the Vatican.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
        Wayne,
        Thumbscrew toolbox, stamped air cleaner cover. Once an upgrade part replaced an earlier one such as the air cleaner cover it never went back to the earlier style. Why do you feel that you are in Purgatory! The only real differences in the '55 FL and FLH are the H in the serial#, the camshaft (marked HL), the fender emblem, and the factory ported heads. No great mysteries held in secret by the Vatican.
        Robbie
        Don't forget the "H" decal on the oil bag.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
          Don't forget the "H" decal on the oil bag.
          Not present on the 55, of course.
          Dave Swanson
          1956 FLH
          1969 FLH
          1964 XLCH
          1956 KHK
          1936 VD

AMCA 11659

Comment

Thank you, folks. I will retain the thumbscrew type tool box and argue my case with the judges next time. I also have a line on an engraved air filter cover and will put the right one on.

With all due respect to the judges, can they have "bad" days?

I got docked on an upside down brake lever pivot pin. Huh? They only made one lever set (-41) and it has to be upside down on one side or the other. That "barn fresh '55" that just sold on e-bay (I have all of those very valuable pictures should any one want them) showed the brake side pin upside down too.

They docked me on having a cad generator cover (no text or pictures anywhere say it should be chrome) and having no lockwashers - which it did and cad to boot.

Can someone explain the "star hub grease fitting 180 off the Shrader valve" to me? It was close, but not exact. Re-lacing a factory wheel doesn't set well with me.

Can I get some info on the correct steering head lock also? Palmer's book says '55 is the "last of the open face steering head lock". I have the same one as the eBay '55 and also the same as shown on the factory pictures on the Antique Cycle Supply CD. They docked me being as wrong.

Finally, Chris..they zinged me on having silver painted head pipes (I do have the chrome covers on also) and silver painted Y and S pipes. Mr Palmer's book says chrome S and Y pipes, you suggested silver or aluminum paint months ago - with expanation that the book isn't 100%. Every picture I have seen shows painted.

I could go on and on. Can you tell I am aggravated with the juding results? Don't get me wrong, some of it was invaluable as far as correct information was concerned. But Holy smokes, Batman.

BTW, I'm gonna ride it. As in right now. See ya................................84 and sunny here in F-L-A!

Comment

Working...
            X