Linkert Carb float glued in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert Carb float glued in?

Several years ago when I knew I'd be building this bike I bought 2 linkert carbs off E,bay.( cause I started with 2 basket cases )The other day I took a good look at them,good thing I bought 2,I'll need to make one carb from the pair.When I take the float bowl off one of them the float is all covered in what looks like contact cement .It looks like someone poured in about a tablespoons of the stuff and coated the float with it .It's sticky kinda like chewing gum before you chew it ,and light brown yellowish.
    On the inside of the float bowl where the hole for bowl lock nut is ,the metal is all chipped away ,just on the inside ,not all the way through. The float is black in color .This bowl is grey metal sorta pot metal looking stuff.
    The other carb has a chrome bowl with a screw for draining the bowl,and a yellow float which seems to be ajusted correctly by the book.I read a post somewhere about chrome float bowls not being very desirable,is that cause they are not original ,or some other reason?

Cotton's the man to answer your question Neil, but I'm wondering if your first float wasn't covered in shellac and has broken down from modern day gasoline. Gasoline is a horrible thing, just ask anyone who has left it sit in a carb for any length of time. What a mess!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks Cory ,I have been told about gas jelling or something or other,and wondered if it could have caused this ,but I don't think so as it appears the bowl laid on its side and the "glue" ran more to that side .The whole float is coated .I even wondered if it was a shipping practice so the float wouldnt get jarred.
      I'll wait for Cotton.
      Neil

Comment

Neil!

There have been several designs of floats over the years. However, modern fuels have proven to be the demise of nearly all of them.

First came celluloid-coated cork.
        The inherent problem with a coated float is that the attaching screw eventually cracks the coating, and the insides soak up fuel, or "log". And of course, modern fuels eat celluloid anyway.
        Putting a bandaid coating over it has two problems: (1) it makes the float heavier than the carb was designed to use, and (2) there are almost no sealers that actually survive.

Next came molded black floats with four casting 'sprues' on top commonly referred to as "Armstrongs" as they were a rubber compound. These survived longer in modern fuels, but eventually swell to rub the bowl, or even split.

Brass floats just don't float, so yellow floats were an attempt at a light modern compound, but they turn to a dumpling in minutes in modern fuel.

The digestive nature of modern fuel additives cannot be overstated, as it has become increasing reactive over just the last few years, attacking even the guaranteed fuel-proof second-generation compound that I used for the better part of a decade. (For the last year I have been using the improved third generation of the Armstrong formula, which is produced in MACHINED form, not cast. It is the same material that all major auto companies use.... TODAY.)
        (Please post inquiries direct to liberty@npoint.net).

If your first bowl is indeed heavy potmetal instead of aluminum, and of a 'beanpot' shape different than other Linkerts, then it is probably a 1940 Schebler. A chromed Linkert bowl should work fine as long as the threads for the pivot are intact, and the sealing surfaces are still flat. Only purists will point their finger at it.

.....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I beg to differ somewhat

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Brass floats just don't float,
          Cotten, I did purchase 2 of your floats last year after the storm hit you unfortunately last year. However I still have 3 running Linkert Motorcycles with the Brass floats in yet that Kokesh made years ago. These have been in for several years, The 58FLH hasn't been rebuilt (knock on wood) for atleast 8yrs. I only ever ruined one by hauling a motorcycle long distance with the float bowl drained and the float apparently bounced a hole in it while traveling as hard as that is to believe but it showed stress. I believe Kokesh doesn't make those anymore for what ever reason (price?) I do look forward to using one of the 2 you have sent me someday since all I hear is good things about them as well. Keep riding them, Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Working...
          X