Harley star hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley star hub

I have two rebuild kits from V-twin, that I got a couple of years ago to put in the NOS hubs I picked up along the way. These are going in my 1965 Glide. Were the thrust washer covers painted black, to match the hub? That is part # 43566-35A. The two I got with the bearing kits from V-twin aren't even the same finish. One is chromed, the other looks like semi chrome, or something. On another site, I have been reading about the nightmares people have with the new bearing kits. Oh well.............
    Mike

check axle fitting

The roller bearings in these wheels are sold in many different diameter sizes (.000) for used hubs and rebuilding these hubs is tedious work at best. It's been awhile since I've done any and I'm not at home with my info for detail. As long as your axle fits well with no excess play and runs smooth don't change the bearings, Is there a reason for rebuilding other then non use and needing a good cleaning? Check the parts and use new gaskets. That's just my thought. I do have a few spare Star Hub wheels I should check myself and get reading for service too, maybe a spring project now that you reminded me I have them. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

The last star hub I overhauled, I set at .0005" to .001" end play. If I remember correctly. Diameter clearances I really don't recall off hand. I have the data. I can look it up for you if you need the specs. Paps

Comment

One key point is to first build the hub up "dry" and set the end play. Then take it apart and grease her up. Also if you are replacing the cork grease retainer on the brake side of the hub remember that the new ones are thick and also affect the end play. It takes a hundred miles or so for the cork to get compressed. If replacing the cork grease retainer I will leave that side of the hub loose while setting the end play on the other side, (sometimes take a third hand). When you get a hundred or so miles on it re-check the end play.
        Hank Fisher, AMCA #2940

Comment

My question was what color, or finish goes on the thrust hub cover? These hubs were bare when I got them, so I can build them like new, and that is why I got the V-twin complete parts kits. I am also thinking of getting them powder coated now, because I already see a couple of chips in my "expert" spray bomb job I did on them.
          MIke

Comment

I'm sure it wasn't painted

Actually the Star cover itself wasn't painted or chrome although many were done that way. I have seen some Parkerized ones as well on other years. most of my M/C's are still buried and covered in winter blues here in Pennsylvania :-( For judging purposes paint or chrome would be incorrect if that is the reason for asking. As to which years they were Parkerized or Cadmium I don't have that info infront of me. I went out and looked at my 65 and the rear one looks to be Cadmium although worn. I then took a strech and light at the 58 and that was definately Parkerized...hopefully someone else can give you a more deffinative answer then me, That's why I don't like to judge motorcycles too. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

I believe that Parkerized is correct on all 1955 thru 1966 models. 1937 thru 1955 look to have a differant finish. Theres a good photo in Palmers book but no description about types of finish.
              ------------
              Steve
              AMCA #7300

Comment

thanks for the feedback.
                mike

Comment

Working...
                X