Not in My Parts Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not in My Parts Book

Can anyone identify what this rusted part is on my motorcycle? My parts book only goes back to 49, so it has limited info on springers. It doesn’t show anything like it at all. Possibly home made? I can’t tell for sure yet until I attempt to remove it.

Looks like some type of spring clamp. If its home made, it was done nicely.

Last edited by Ohio-Rider; 02-02-2009, 04:18 PM.
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

It looks suspiciously like an adapter to mount a 45 springer on a Big Twin. What size is the stem on that fork? The nut looks like 45. Big Twin is 1 inch, 45 is 7/8 inch.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

What type of bars were living above it?
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Here are the bars I'm replacing. I've never been able to pin point the type or year of my forks. Seems everyone I've asked gives me a differant answer. Anyone care to take a shot at identifiying these?
        Attached Files
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Steve, You still have not said what the stem size is on the forks! That will tell a lot about what they are. As I said the top nut looks like 45 which leans to Servi-Car or WLC forks, both of which had big twin rockers. However, big twin rockers can be put on any 45 springer by drilling the legs to match. And also the springs are really odd, the top ones have way too many coils. look like old Paughco springs. As far as year, Servi-Car forks were used from '40 to '57. Again, what is the stem size??
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The part in the picture is an aftermarket piece designed to eliminate the crown nut. The part you need is 48327-36. Looks like your fork is late 38 to early 46 inline. That's assuming it has a 1" stem.
            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Yep, The stem is 7/8”. Seven years later and now I finally have a definite answer as to what these forks are off of. Nothing like that sinking feeling when you find out that a part you have isn’t what you thought it was. No matter….. This weekend is the first local swap meet of the year and maybe I’ll get lucky. Thanks for you help gentlemen.

Hey Hogluvr, You coming down this way for any of the local swaps this year?
              ------------
              Steve
              AMCA #7300

Comment

Working...
              X