After market wishbone frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    What repop part is made that you can't tell the difference?
    the one that you couldn't tell the difference
    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

There is an attitude here that's getting chauvanistic and high hat about reproduction. Here's the grim reality; without reproduction none of us working stiffs would have a running, accurate, example of a knucklehead or rigid panhead. Those bikes were ravaged by the chopper movement of the 60's and 70's and much of the good stuff was thrown away or hopelessly raped by some idiot with a cutting torch and a hammer. Harley guys should be down on their knees thanking the people that make reproduction parts (including the bad stuff) because it's kept many bikes on the road. Post 1936 H-D's have had the benefit of having the most reproduction parts lavished on them and, made keeping those bikes on the road pretty damn easy. Some of you guys should try straying from the safe pastures of knuckleheads and panheads and try doing a Pope, pre '40 Indian, Henderson, Flying Merkel, or J model H-D. You'll quickly find out that small businesses making that weird stuff are a life saver. Some of you are getting upset because reproduction is being discussed here. I'm getting upset with the snobbish "I've got the real thing, screw you" attitude.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

The club is about preserving a bit of history. Weather a bike is judged in the restored category or the original category, they both “equally” share in fulfilling the common goal of preserving the history.

As far as the value of each. We all know that the original Mona Lisa will always have a higher value than a re-print. Yet they both convey the same beauty to the eyes. A re-print of the original does not de-value the original in fact it increases it’s value.
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Getting back to what I said in the beginning, there is nothing wrong with reproduction bikes, there should just be a separate thread for them.
          Mike

Comment

So how many reproduction parts does it take to make it a reproduction motorcycle? Would a set of Franks fork tubes mean my pan is now a reproduction and somehow not real? Even parts made by the mighty bar & sheild themselves as replacements (cigar mufflers come to mind) often are not the same as what was put there on the line. In the case of the muffler I mention, some repops are actually a closer match on visual inspection than a later OEM part. I realize a frame is a larger part and harder to swap than a muffler, but in the end parts is parts.
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Brian,
              As far as the club is concerned you can put all the repop parts you want on a restored machine. But original bikes must have all original parts. Except normal service items.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                What repop part is made that you can't tell the difference?
                Do you think we are going to spill our beans?

Honestly, I thought the throttleshafts that I have been getting were still the NOS ones that used to come in ordinance packaging.
                And it wasn't just the cosmo-grease and stains that fooled me!

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I've seen a bike at one of the AMCA shows that was basically a "one-off super rare H-D" according to the literature that was provided years before the show from research provided by the owner. Then magically the bike shows up in complete patina as an amazing find. Funny thing is, the case stampings were perfect......perfectly shinny that is.....no sign of oxidation, no sign of 70+ years of use or abuse......not even a nick on any of the numbers. Kinda struck me funny that no one (judges) picked up on this and questioned the authenticity of the machine. What do you do in this case? Is the AMCA suppose to question or police everything about a bike? Have the suspect parts carbon dated? If a bike is presented as "original", who makes the call it's not? AMCA-CSI?

Comment

Well said Exeric - I'm with you. And you stated it much better than I did.

I certainly admire and respect the guys who acquire/refurbish and use the tough-to-find original parts that I still must find (anyone have an OEM 1962 P/N XLCH Horn???). And they should be rewarded by the judges for their persistance, skill and tenacity, and I'm sure they are. And some of these people have responded in this discussion. I didn't mean to disrespect or offend. But I stand by my opinion (remember - opinions are like anal apatures - we all have them).

To address Chris' comment - I agree entirely. But I'm a restorer. I did not have the luck or pocketbook to acquire original machines. So, until certain parts are found, I will use an after market part or two, provided that its REAL close, or I can make it REAL close. In the meantime, my bike(s) are resurrected and I, and my colleagues can enjoy them and we can focus upon the bits and pieces that may be 'in process' of acquisition.
                    Bill Pedalino
                    Huntington, New York
                    AMCA 6755

Comment

I realize I can use repro parts on my restored bikes, My question was generally pointed at those who were making the case that there should be separate threads for "reproduction motorcycles". I also thought of a reproduction part that most of us have seen that can't be visually differentiated from the original. How about reproduction speedometer glass? Sure a lousy one can be seen from three feet away but I have also seen those that could easily pass as NOS any day.
                      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I feel like I was a bit over the top with my previous post. I understand the pride people have in a bike that they worked and struggled to find genuine parts for. That is a tough, and expensive undertaking and an accomplishment that one should be proud of. I started my 1948FL project with the attitude that I would use reproduction whenever I got stumped becuase I wanted a riding Panhead and not a religious experience that would take a lifetime to bring to fruition. As it has turned out, my '48 is largely genuine with the exception of the rear fender and the handlebars. However, I found a set of genuine offset handlebars at a swap meet 2 weeks ago, so I have been extreamly fortunate finding genuine parts. I have spent much of the last 30 years working on non Harley projects and I can assure you that if you're working on a bike that isn't a post '36 H-D, or a post '40 Indian Chief, you have your work cut out for you. My sympathies lie with anyone trying to restore a motorcycle and especially someone who is new to it and struggling to maintain enthusiasim while they wait to find the next big part. I think new converts to this obsession of ours need encouragement and especially the people that want the interactive experience of doing their own work.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

My turn to comment on your wording Eric! I just started reading this thread and I was forming opinions in my head.......... until I got to the end of course. You said it all man!
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
                            Well said Exeric - I'm with you. And you stated it much better than I did.

I certainly admire and respect the guys who acquire/refurbish and use the tough-to-find original parts that I still must find (anyone have an OEM 1962 P/N XLCH Horn???)
                            I just saw one on eBay.
                            Be sure to visit;
                            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Chris. I did bid the item, but the winning bidder was obviously looking to pay FAR more then I. The item simply wasn't worth the money he paid. I will continue my search - its only been three years.... Thanks for the lead.
                              Bill Pedalino
                              Huntington, New York
                              AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                              X