spinning my wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spinning my wheels

ok today's project is I had my tires removed from the wheels and they look a little bent in a few places.

now today as soon as the wife goes to work I'll bring the wheels in on the kitchen table and remove all the spokes to send out to be beaded and then I'll pakerize. all the spokes look good and if they'll come out I think they will be useable.

so the daily question. I can not respoke and true and straighten and the rim has to be straight and be rechromed before assembling and starhub rebuilt. Is there a service that will do all or do I have to go in steps and different vendors.

no more question for at least an hour
    Moose
    aka Glenn

If you're just talking about a few dents and dings in the rim, it should be no problem. If the rim got "curbed" and it's actually out of round then you will problably want to replace it. I don't know of anyone that will straighten a rim. I should mention that most rims are out of round but that can easily be overcome when you true the rim. Spokes are incredibly strong and collectivly exert a lot of pull.

The spokes should be cad plated.

Rechroming old rims is very expensive, however you probably have the original Kelsey Hayes rims with out the safety bead feature and they're worth saving.

You've probably seen all of the posts on our forum about star hub rebuilding, and the needle bearing retrofit kit from 45 Parts Depot.

Buchannan Spoke and Frame will do most everything on your wheel. I don't know if they rebuild hubs or rechrome rims, but they make their own spokes and lace and true wheels. You can find them on the internet by entering 'Buchannan Spoke'.

Have you thought of doing all of this yourself? 16" H-D wheels are probably the easiest wheel to lace and true and the H-D manual gives an excellent description on how to do it. You can use the frame as a truing stand, you'll learn a valuable skill, and you'll save yourself a bundle of money that you can use somewhere else. The downside is, lacing and truing wheels is not for everyone. I have a friend that goes into an angry depression at the thought of lacing and truing a wheel. Oddly enough, he does a great job of it and sticks with it until his wheels are better than spec.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

after cleaning and re examining the wheel it is not out of round only bent on about a 5 inch piece on the outside of the rim. It looks like a lot of pressure will bring it back in. Maybe after I get the spokes out and before I cad them I'll try and re lace the wheel that way there would be no damage if that works then I'll redo everything.

If I have trouble truing I'm sure there must be a shop around new jersey I could find

just have to find who could do the chroming at a decent price

they are kelsey hayes rims one stamped 49 and the other 50
      Moose
      aka Glenn

Comment

Pico Wheel has been straightning my rims for many years. UPS goes to their door.
        http://picowheel.com/services.nxg
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

thanks all for the info
          Moose
          aka Glenn

Comment

talked to Garry today I'm boxing up the wheels and sending them out to him

thanks
            Moose
            aka Glenn

Comment

Working...
            X