throttle and spark control cable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle and spark control cable question

I have everything off of my 1950 speedster handle bars and can not figure out how to remove the cables. the only thing on the bars are the stops for the handgrips. there is no screw on the end of the sleeve

moose
    Moose
    aka Glenn

got one out by brute force I guess after sitting for 46 years they were a little stiff

moose
    Moose
    aka Glenn

Comment

Glenn, Are the set screws out of the bars that hold the spools in place? They are hidden under the switches in some bars, the right side is usually in the open. Small regular screw heads on them.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

thanks rub

i think everything but the stops for the grips are off and I still can not budge the one. I even put the cable in backwards and tried with vice grips to pull it out it is frozen in place. I just sprayed with pb blaster and will try and let it sit over night. maybe i could jam something into the switch hole and bang it out it seems like the cable holder is stuck and cant pull out the casing.
        Moose
        aka Glenn

Comment

A little heat with a plumbers propane torch may expand the bar enough to make it lose its grip. May discolor the chrome, so if you are not re-plating it may not be an option. I've also found that on things that are froze up really bad that a little heat prior to applying penetrant will help the oil wick into the parts and work better.
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

As someone previously suggested, make sure the set screws have been removed. If in fact they have been, try punching the spools in a little to break them loose. It is easier to push them in than push them out. After you have pushed them in a little reapply some penetrating oil and start working forth and back. They will eventually come free.

Comment

thanks will try it or I'll go out and get a 5 pound sledge hammer and maybe it will budge.

they are going out to get chromed and they have to be welded at the bottom where they crack
              Moose
              aka Glenn

Comment

Once again. When you remove the switches from the bars you will find set screws under those switches. You must remove those screws to pull the cable spirals and spools out of the bars.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

chris

everything is off the bars and still stuck will try to heat them up tomorrow and see what happens

moose
                  Moose
                  aka Glenn

Comment

Glenn, I think that Chris is saying is that you never said you removed the set screws. If you did not then they are still there. If you did say so so he can rest!
                    Robbie
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

i did remove them and sealed them up in a mayonaise jar on the front porch. I'll heat them and try banging them in to loosen them up
                      Moose
                      aka Glenn

Comment

i did remove them and sealed them up in a mayonaise jar on the front porch. I'll heat them and try banging them in to loosen them up
                        Moose
                        aka Glenn

Comment

i did remove them and sealed them in a mayonaise jar on the front porch.

moose

thanks
                          Moose
                          aka Glenn

Comment

Try penetrating oil instead of mayonaise
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                            X