Speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo

I have a 64FLH. Looking at buying a NOS speedo. the one I am looking at appears to be correct ( Harley Logo ect. ) The 1st digits on the right of the mileage and trip are red. Does anyone know if this is this correct. Thanks for any info.

Be aware that H-D offered that style of speedo a couple of years back in their Eagle Iron line of parts. It does say H-D on it too, and retailed for about $100.
    VPH-D

Comment

If it is a Tombstone, check the depth of the can. I have one of those also, and heard it might be an older aftermarket part, even with the Harley name on it. It is not as deep as the old Tombstone speedo's that I know are original. I think the ratio is wrong, also.
      Mike

Comment

The Eagle Iron speedo was [is] offered in both 2:1 and 1:1 ratios. I don't believe the Iron speedo had any of the S-W markings on the case either.
        VPH-D

Comment

The quickest, easiest way to identify the EOM speedo from the Eagle Iron reproduction is the location of the screws attaching the face. The EOM screws are spaced wide apart, out under the long dash for the number 3 and right in the bottom of the digit "one" in the number 10. The Eagle Iron face screws are well inside the tombstone, spaced apart about the same distance as the width of the trip meter slot. The Eagle Iron repros, at least the ones I've seen, do have the red background for the tenth of a mile digit. Don't know what is correct for all years, but 66's were all black background except for the tenth of a mile digit which has a white background. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by t-jacobs View Post
            I have a 64FLH. Looking at buying a NOS speedo. the one I am looking at appears to be correct ( Harley Logo ect. ) The 1st digits on the right of the mileage and trip are red. Does anyone know if this is this correct. Thanks for any info.
            Actually my 1965 original except paint Motorcycle doesn't have Red Tenths it's black over white background for the tenths.
            I believe I see the speedo on ebay starting at $250 that you're refering too and it appears a decent aftermarket but wouldn't do well even in a restored judging as original. The casing on the rear doesn't appear Cadmium plated either not that it would be noticed. If you're not doing a total restore and just need a good speedo those in that era come up often for sale with mileage at reasonable prices. New ones or Rebuilt ofcourse are alot more. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Speedo

Thanks for the great info to all. I suspected this was not an original but just wanted some opinions to help confirm it.

And to Magic, Yes its the one on Ebay.

Thanks again

Comment

If that is the one on ebay from Canada, make note of the sellers name. The MOST any repo speedo is worth is lass than 50 bucks. And what is with the trademark? I have a few original tombstones, and none have the mark. I have one repo with the shallow case, and close set screws, like the one on ebay, but it doesn't have the red 10's or the trademark. It is also about 1/2" shorter than the original, and is stamped 1:2 for the ratio. Also, the Harley Davidson lettering is thinner than the original. I am thinking the one on ebay is a total ripoff. I paid 20 bucks for mine, from a Harley dealer, of all people. I really thought I got over on him, until i got home and looked at it in the light. Oh well.......... I will keep it for a bobber maybe, someday.
                Mike

Comment

I can't believe that thing sold for $405.00. Keep an eye out for it to be relisted.
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X