Looking for Shop Note for 65 Pan Primary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Shop Note for 65 Pan Primary

Figured I'd revive this as a seperate topic. In came up at the end of the thread by gmarkas talking about his 65 Pan book.

I'm looking to see if anyone has a copy of this shop not they would be willing to send/sell/fax to me. I have a NOS sand cast cover without the grease hole/plug that I want to convert to replace the polished primary on my 65 (with hole). There evidently was a shop note that HD dealers used to convert the standard cast primary to the one with the hole.

Got a copy you would be able to share? If not guess I can just copy - but would be nice to have the shop note as I beleive it to have had a template and info on drilling the hole.

"There is a shop note for the template and not all 65 FLHs had the grease hole for the compensator sprocket. The compensating sprocket was part of the F-1 King of the Highway upgrade package. If you didn't have the upgrade, you didn't have the sprocket. I have several primary covers with the correct part number that have no hole for the grease."

Thanks
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Ray if Im not mistaken the hole was a midyear change early models did not have it,after some troubles they added the hole,I would never take a NOS primary and add the hole !!! Why would you do that???? The holeless primary would be ok on a later production 65 pan in my opinion,but the part is yours to do with as you see fit !!

Comment

Originally posted by INLINE4NUT View Post
      Ray if Im not mistaken the hole was a midyear change early models did not have it,after some troubles they added the hole,I would never take a NOS primary and add the hole !!! Why would you do that???? The holeless primary would be ok on a later production 65 pan in my opinion,but the part is yours to do with as you see fit !!
      Well it's a grease hole/access for the compensator sprocket. Mine has this, and my original cover has the hole. My primary and timing covers are polished and I want to change back to sand cast. I would like to make the sand cast cover correct for my bike.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

It makes me scratch my chin as to why my 'Kansas City PD' refugee had the "King of the Highway" primary, and none of the rest of the package.

It was only ten years old when I purchased it as a ready-to-die warhorse: Tank-shift, Police Special speedo, single exhaust, Delco starter but no relay, etc., etc.
        In 1975, those were not hot selling points!

Wasn't that funny bracket to lower the brake line to give room for a siren?

Revisionism is a disease.

...Cotten
        PS:
        Even steel shot-peening will not re-create the original surface, as there were course grind marks where the casting "flash" was removed. If I had to fake such marks, I would try a very large band saw.
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-05-2008, 07:04 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Just wanted to be clear that the quote in Perry's post above was not from me. It was from gmarkas in the 65 Pan book thread when I brought this topic up there.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...t=13468&page=8

So - really, does any one have a copy of the shop note :-) Or can confirm one exists and point me to someone who has one?

As far as I know 65 Pans with the serviceable compensating sprocket (my 65 does have the K1 group) have the primary cover with the hole/plug. It's the correct cover for those that do.

The same type sand cast cover without the hole was used on 66-68 Shovels. Therefore some 65's and 66 pans had it others don't. The casting part number is the same. The hole and plug were either created at the factory for the 65's and 66's that needed one or needed to replace an existing one or not. Later they only made the cover without the hole for the shovels, so created a shop note to add the hole if a 65/66 owner needed a replacement with the hole. Or that is how it was told to me by an old time HD shop mechanic at one of the AMCA meets in Boyertown.

Anyway - would really like to have a copy of the shop note if someone has one ;-)
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
            So - really, does any one have a copy of the shop note :-) Or can confirm one exists and point me to someone who has one?
            My friend Danny Lim has some factory literature from the 60s. I went through the Service Bulletins today. I found nothing on the outer primary. He doesn't have an exhaustive collection so this doesn't prove it doesn't exist. I did find a bulletin on routing the oil lines to avoid the rear exhaust. This is obviously a factory reprint from the 70s given the AMF logo. I've added a full sized scan to my website ... Perry
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for checking Perry, and for the full size post of the oil line bulletin!
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
              X