fork lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork lock

somewhere i found the method of removing the fork lock on my 50 pan head frame and for the life of me I don't remember where.

anyone know I really cant see where the pin is that holds it
    Moose
    aka Glenn

remove all the paint

Hey Glenn, I believe the pin is at a 1-2 o'clock position straight into the side of the lock casting as you look at the lock face. Removing all the paint in the area is necessary to locate it as the excess was chiseled off after inserted about 1/2 inch back from the front of the lock. I'm sure you have your frame stripped by now of the front fork tree assembly which makes it easier yet to work in that area. The lock mechanism itself will undoubtably be stuck in place and a key inserted to wiggle it out is often necessary along with plenty of penatrating fluid. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

thanks merlin

i thought all that stuff was on the panhead flathead site but I cant find it
      Moose
      aka Glenn

Comment

The pin is in that location. The easiest way to remove it it to have a very good welder weld a blob on the top of the pin. Let some Aerokroil soak in then grab the blob with a pair of vicegrips and pull out the pin.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I use a left-hand drill, carefully, as it always appeared to me to be a screw that had the head chiseled off. Some later models used rollpins, which are very hard to drill.
          Wiggling the core with a key helps you feel for when it is loose, and helps to avoid drilling into it.
          After replacement of the lock, I tap the hole for a #6 setscrew, and fill it with paint.

...Cotten
          Attached Files
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

thanks for all the info

as I progress I'm sure I'll have tons of questions, hope you folks don't mind but I figure I'd rather do it right the first time and although it wont be a 100 per cent I want the best I could do with mostly my own hands

moose
            Moose
            aka Glenn

Comment

wound up cleaning the lock off with carb cleaner and was able to read the numbers. went to the local locksmithy and they made a key from the code and it worked.
              Moose
              aka Glenn

Comment

Working...
              X