compensator plug '65 primary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compensator plug '65 primary

What is the thread pitch for the plug that fills the hole for compensator greasing access on the 1965 panheads? I have a replacement plug that starts but goes in about 1/4 round then gets very balky. Since I don't want to strip either the hole or the plug, I need to re-tap the hole and proceed from there.

Thanks,
    Lonnie
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Try this or look at this

Hey Lonnie, Is the replacement plug other then OEM ? If so just look at the threads on the plug real good and they probably are very sharp on the edges. If so use fine sand paper or similar material emerycloth is good, and sand them down alittle as evenly as possible. I find that many aftermarket suppliers may have the correct thread on their product but don't use to much quality control when marketing it. I've came across this on alot of aftermarket threaded products. I only say this as you said it starts but stops part way in, that tells me it's binding or cutting into the case. That you don't want to do. Hope that helps. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Thanks, Merlin. I tried that to no avail. I had repaired the footboard tab and the heat seemed to have somewhat distorted the plug hole. The thread is 7/8x14 UNF it seems and though a machinist friend did not have the correct tap, we used a 3/4x14 tap to scrape the threads at the area closes to the tab. Problem resolved. Plug goes in nicely.
      Lonnie Campbell #9908
      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Working...
      X