Seat post bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat post bushing

Can anyone tell me how to remove and install a seat post bushing on a 64FLH. Recomended tools would also be helpfull.

Thanks

You're gonna bite the bullet on this one! You're going to need an internal bushing puller at minimum. That's if one of the chosen genius's on this site has come up with a way to side step this - and their damm good at it! Putting the bushing back in is a breeze. Three washers and a length of thread rod through the hole in the bottom. Bob
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

blind hole puller 40.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95987
      Jeff Bowles
      Arkansas
      Membership # 14023
      1957 Sportster

Comment

I use a puller, but you can always make a verticle cut the bushing carefully with a file or hack saw blade and it will either slide right out ( or fall down the tube, so carefull)or can easily be collapsed in on itself.
        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Find a tap to fit the bushing. Tap the bushing. Use a bolt or rod threaded the same. Screw the bolt or rod into the tapped bushing. If you use a bolt, install a flat washer to push against the frame tube. If using a rod, use the same flat washer and a nut. If you don't have a tap that large, or you cannot borrow one, use a self tapping bolt to fit. Paps

Comment

The 64 has two bushings. The bottom one is the trouble. Get a piece of round stock and grind the end to resemble a curv top T. The curve should be ground to match the radius of the post tube I.D and the straight part of the t ground sharp to cut through the bushing. The cut bushing is easy to collapse and remove.
            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

This is how I pulled the plunger guide tube #3125-13 out of the frame of a 1923 Harley JD. ...bill in oregon
              http://www.97330.com/Bills_1923_Harley/Pull/Pull.html
              Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
                Find a tap to fit the bushing. Tap the bushing. Use a bolt or rod threaded the same. Screw the bolt or rod into the tapped bushing. If you use a bolt, install a flat washer to push against the frame tube. If using a rod, use the same flat washer and a nut. If you don't have a tap that large, or you cannot borrow one, use a self tapping bolt to fit. Paps
                That shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks. That is a mighty big tap PA. Have you been sniffin' that Old Timers again?
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

American ingenuity ... never ceases to amaze me ... 10 guys with 10 different solutions ... all effective (although some more costly than others).
                  Vic Ephrem
                  AMCA #2590

Comment

Great people

Did I hear Backyard Garage Mechanics..? I'd say most of us here are, and then a few still and past Shop owner Mechanics as well. It all works and is what makes this forum great without hostilities. Merlin in Pa. (still have the flu)

Comment

No sniffin Chris. My problem is I already own the taps. Collected many a big one over the years. I really like the idea of spitting the bushing sides. I would do it the hard way though. A bare hacksaw blade, with lots of patience. Paps

Comment

See the first thing I mentioned in my post was what genises you guys were. Ya made me proud. Bob
                        AMCA #3149
                        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                          That shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks. That is a mighty big tap PA. Have you been sniffin' that Old Timers again?
                          Chris, Its all relative to the point of view. In our shops, taps that size wouldn’t be considered very large. We've got buckets of old ones laying around.
                          ------------
                          Steve
                          AMCA #7300

Comment

Yep....to dull to use commercially but still useful to some. Of topic a bit....but remembering the scrap taps brought a funny to the surface of me brain. It was a blind hole I had to tap. Tap was 6.5 inch diameter. That is a biggie !!! I was driving it in with a huge horizonal boring mill. Spindle was 18" diameter. Not paying close enough attention, I bottomed the tap before I could reverse it. It blew into a zillion fragments ! Sounded like a stick of TNT when she came apart. I was lucky not to have received any of the fragments. It took me 6 hours to burn out what was still jammed in the blind hole. Boss told me I didn't want to know the cost of that tap. Paps

Comment

There is a place near me that sells old cast off machine tool parts at the rate of "buck a pound". Most is junk but every once in awhile I find a treasure so I regularly visit him . Any imaginable mill or tap you ever wanted.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X