64 FLH Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 FLH Clutch

I have a 64 FLH with a clutch that is dragging. I have been told I need to pull the clutch and clean the plates. What should I use to clean them and how?

Thanks

I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner from the auto store. Pull the plates and if they're really sloped up wipe of any surface oil. Hose out the linings with brake clean over a pan until it looks like most of the oil has washed out and blow em dry. Liberal application of brake cleaner is a must. If the were gummed bad they are probabally glazed too so after they're good and dry take a block of wood wraped with some 100 grit sandpaper and break the glaze with small circular motions.If this doesn't clean them up real nice they are most likely fried and should be replaced. Before you reinstall, make sure you have corrected any leaks or other problems that may have contributed to this condition or you will be performing this ritual again in fairly short order. Also if they are old riveted linings make sure all the rivets are tight. I would definetly double check all my clutch adjustments before going to all this. Have fun.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

only adding something

Hey there, I like to use Naptha which can be purchased at any hardware store in liquid form. The naptha seems to soak into the fiber plates without much evaporation and release the oils. This soaking may take a few days with some agitation and or changing to cleaned naptha. Many other ways as mentioned plus the causes if other then non use. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

I don't know, but plates are cheap. And you've got to make sure the metal discs are flat. I like reusing things, but I haven't had any luck with clutches. Mike

Comment

Clutch plates

Thanks to all for all the great info.

Comment

Clutch Drag;

I installed the Clutch Tamer in my FL. Man, what a difference. The improvement is like night and day,....Joe
            Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Working...
            X