Generator light stays on - 65 pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator light stays on - 65 pan

The generator light won't go out on my wife's 65 pan.
    I have removed the wires from the generator A terminal and the light goes out, so I don't think it's shorted. A generator test shows 11 amps of output. The regulator has less than 1,000 miles and is a few months old.
    On the ride home from the Death Valley run the light was on for the whole hundred miles, but when tested at home, the battery showed 12.8 volts.
    I sure hope someone can help me out.
    Terry "Pigpen" Gambill
    AMCA #4386
    Las Vegas, NV

Hi,

This often happens when the ground wire to the voltage regulator case is disconnected or loose. Check this ground. To confirm, take an alligator clip from the grounding terminal on the VR case to a known good ground. Your generator light should go out.

This affects only the gen light for some reason but it is important nonetheless.

Good luck.
    George and Kyle Marakas
    K & G Cycles

Comment

In my case it was one of the relays in the voltage regualtor that hung up. Might want to pull the cover and check that all contacts are open. Regardless of regualtor age.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

I installed a new ground and the generator idiot light was still on. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and polarized the generator with no change.

Testing of the regulator determined that the cut out relay was not working even though the generator was charging. If I manually close the contacts, the light goes out. It appears to be a relay problem just as Rbenash said.

I guess its new regulator time again. What do you guys recommend as a manufacturer and source for the best 12v regulator?
        Terry "Pigpen" Gambill
        AMCA #4386
        Las Vegas, NV

Comment

The one available from Accel is very good. I have had two on my 65 in 110,000 miles. I replaced the first one at about 70,000 thinking it was weak, actually the problem was an internal short in my neutral light/safety switch.
          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I found a new Accel regulator at my local parts shop so I installed it. When I fired her up, the generator light was still on. I must be missing something but I don't know what it is!
            Terry "Pigpen" Gambill
            AMCA #4386
            Las Vegas, NV

Comment

You can use a Delco-Remy for an automobile. It looks exactly like the correct one for a 65 and has the correct D-R logo embossed on the top except it does not have the warning label on the side cover. This will pass the judges muster any day and it works flawlessly.
              George and Kyle Marakas
              K & G Cycles

Comment

Since I have one too

Hello have you figured it out yet? Double check all the wiring from the Generator to the Regulator as well as the switch...I've made mistakes too that I thought I couldn't LOL. The 12.8 Vollts is that running at idle or with RPMs ? I'd want a little more then 12.8V and closer to 13.5 with some rpms. Does the M/C charge when riden or is it discharging such as dimming lights when braking or just not starting from a drained battery? If you're not having any draining problems such as dim lighting or the battery not holding enough power, I'd venture up to under the Dash area again. The A post off the Generator serves the light. I see many mentioned an addtional ground on the Regulator, I also have a ground on the Generator not that this is a requirement just something I have done. Off the communtator/brush end of the generator I have a ground directly to the frame saftey bar mount. Scratch the paint away well on both. The generator should be grounded itself well enough with the 2 bolts though the cam cover however with the gasket between the generator and engine case and possibly an oily set of bolts holding it in there could be a poor ground itself. I know it was meant to be there a Harley dealer would of put one there...don't count on it LOL It's just insurance on my part. There is nothing worse then riding and having that Red light on. I'll take myself back 25yrs when I had my then 62FLH dresser out for a ride on a nice sunny day and never saw it on, needless to say after I stopped for a break it didn't start. I really no lying push that dresser 4 miles up several long grades because that was my harley. Now i'd knock on someones door and ask to park it and get a ride. I was a young Marine (Jarhead) ...now I'm a wiser man. Good luck with it too, and hopefully you'll figure it out. Keep riding them, Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Working...
                X