Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50's panhead turnsignal flasher schematic

To the group,
    Has anyone ever taken apart a 3 pin flasher unit from the 50's,or has anybody ever seen a wire schematic for one?,are there built in diodes?,these units are no longer made.
    Ken S. #6457
    Ken S., # 6457
    1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
    1954-H-D Panhead

3-pin flasher unit

O K Guys
    80 views and nobody has ever taken one apart to see how it works,If anybody has one that is bad or junk or a NOS part ,contact me here,I would be interested in taking one apart. or buying a NOS part.
    Ken S. #6457
    Ken S., # 6457
    1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
    1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

That's the spirit! I've learned more by destroying stuff than I ever did putting it together.
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

We just installed a set of turn signals on a 49 Panhead we are restoring, the 6volt flasher came from Tedd's and we used horn buttons to activate the lights. We went to the 59-69 service manual for the wiring diagram.
        Carl and Matt
        http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

turn signals

Carl,
          I have the lights installed with handle bar clamp,oem,indicator lamp,correct for 50's pan,on right side of handle bar,I have the external wired,3-position,turn signal switch,my wireing is set up for 12vt instead of 6vt,all this is wired thru the circuit board to the right side of headlight,I'm useing a 2-pin 12vt flasher,but what will happen is this set up will cross feed to other side,if indicator lamp is used,I have to install correct value diodes to lamp to prevent both sides from flashing.
          so back to the reason of a 6vt ,3-pin flasher,I dont know if harley had a 12vt ,3-pin for late 50's early 60's,wanted to take one apart to see what the factory used.
          Ken S. #6457
          Ken S., # 6457
          1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
          1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

What is the factory part number for the flasher you need ? Paps

Comment

flasher unit

Paps,
              In the 49-57 manual,they list
              part no. 68543-50........direction signal lamp flasher.......49-57

which I would assume is 6vt., has 3 term,rubber mounts.

Thanks
              Ken S. #6457
              Ken S., # 6457
              1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
              1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

6 Volt Flasher

I was able to obtain a Taiwan made 6 V. 3 pin flasher, and it worked for a while. Need to try another one of those three pin jobies and mount it better. I think it needs better shock proof mounting...Engine vibration killed the indicator side and also caused the flasher to flash at diffent flasher rate now at a random pace, fast, then slow......Joe
                Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Why not use a two pin flasher for each side then you will not have the cross feed problems because of individual circuits. There are plenty of unused terminals that you can get power from.
                  Carl
                  http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

2 pin flasher.

Thank you, I'm all for what is best. What is the crossover problem?, I didnt have any that I know of. What happens there?.Like, I mean, what is crossover? The indicator lamp worked fine till vibration killed it.....thanks.....Joe
                    Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

50's turn signal flasher

Joe,
                      With your 6vt,3-pin set up you should be correct,if you have a factory set for the 50's,there is a plate that mounts to the handlebar clamp,that plate has a red indicator lamp,to let you know to turn off switch after completing the turn,if you put a 2-pin new style flasher on this system there is no third pin for indicator lamp.,so you would have to add a wire to power up the indicator lamp,
                      this is were the problem comes in if you wire in the indicator lamp with the 2-pin flasher,and go to use the turn signals,all 4 will flash,instead of just 2 left or 2 right.
                      That is why the 3 pin flasher,has to have some type of diode to control,voltage direction.
                      Ken S. #6457
                      Ken S., # 6457
                      1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
                      1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

OK, yes, I can see a man made cross over by using two flashers have the two pin style wired to the indicator lamp. Using two diodes to the indicator lamps to isolate the other side. That makes sense and is doable. Maybe I could go that way. In your last line you say the tree pin needs a diode, I think you meant the two pin versions need a diode on each. thanks...Joe
                        Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Here is an NOS one. Paps

http://www.nosparts.com/cgi-bin/dbsq...ch&bool_op=AND

Comment

50's flasher unit

Joe,
                            Maybe I should have worded it different,the 6vt,3-pin flasher,may have built in diodes to the pin that goes to the indicator lamp.
                            That is why I wanted to take one apart to see what the factory used.

Paps,
                            Thanks for the info !

Ken S. #6457
                            Ken S., # 6457
                            1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
                            1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Working...
                            X