1949 Panhead Springer Id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Panhead Springer Id

Can anyone tell me what differences if any are in a 1949 panhead frame ( or any other components) fitted with a springer. I have been told a springer was available in 1949 if you ordered a sidecar rig. If that is the case could one order a springer on a solo machine as well? Just trying to verify a bike's authenticity. Looking for something more definitive than anecdotal evidence. Thanks, Barry

hey barry,

i saw a '49 springer solo machine at rhinebeck. i chatted with the fellow for quite some time, as i had some intrest in the bike. his asking price was $25k, and i heard him telling one of his friends he just paid $20,500.00 for it from a guy who spent over $35k restoring it. i guess the guy really needed the money bad to take that much of a loss on it. if i wasn't looking for a four that weekend i would have bought the bike. it was all there, and i was impressed with the resto job!!
    CHIEFJ48
    MEMBER #2786

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD.

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

I believe the 49 springer models had a P suffix to the serial number.
      VPH-D

Comment

There is a P on both the engine and frame.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

According to Greg Fields, author of 'Harley Davidson Panheads' in reference to the 1949 Dave Monahan bike. Quote; "This FLP (the "P" is the designator for spring fork Panheads) is ostensibly one of 486 that H-D records show were built that year. Important trivia: the "P" in FLP is not stamped into the serial number on all spring fork 1949's, and when it is, it is stamped at the end of the serial number string (e.g. FL1456P, not FLP1456). Harley recommended that motorcycles destined for use with sidecars or package trucks be purchased with the spring forks becasue the Hydra-Glide fork angle was too steep for good stability when such additional cargo was attached. The factory suggested that all solo machines be orderd with the Hydra-Glide fork because of its superior ride quality. Even so, H-D sold some sidecar bikes with Hydra-Glide forks and some solo machines with spring forks. "

Chris, I wasn't aware of a "P" on the frame. Where would that be located?
          Last edited by exeric; 09-12-2008, 12:05 PM.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Frame Differences

Barry, The frame on the springfork model has no horn mounts or flat spots on the frame downtubes as the horn is mounted under the headlamp. I think the frame may just be a leftover 48 frame.

Comment

Handlebar difference

I belive the handlebars are unique also. They are offset springer bars with the 49-53 spirals. I think WL's used springer bars with the 49-53 spirals but I believe that they were all inline.

Comment

I happen to have an uncut frame that I thought was an original 49 for a spring fork. It has ball bearing neck cups and shows the tell tale signs of a long hard life with a hack bolted to it. I figuired it to be a late 49 as it has horn blocks welded to a flat spotted frame. It has no P or other unusual marks stamped in it. I have no way to authenticate this, but after the adjustable Hydra Glide fork came out in 50 I can't see why anyone would've put a springer on a later model to run a sidecar. Especially as hard as this one was run.
                Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Wow! I can't believe how fast I have gleaned all this esoteric info! This has to be the ultimate value of our precious website. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X