Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late '55 FLH finish questions

Hello all.

Correctly restoring a late '55 FLH and have questions/concerns regarding "as built" originality:

1) Are the "Y" and "S" pipes painted silver or should they be chrome? Mr. Palmer states they should be chrome, but the pics don't support that.

2) Should the case studs and nuts, case bolt and cylinder base stud nuts truly be cad plated?

3) Should the cylinder base studs be parkerized?

4) Finally, I definitely have a '56 speedo with the day glo green numbers, light gold lower and black upper. It is what was originally supplied on the bike, or so I was told. Will I get spanked by the judges on this?

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by felthamw View Post
    Hello all.

Correctly restoring a late '55 FLH and have questions/concerns regarding "as built" originality:

1) Are the "Y" and "S" pipes painted silver or should they be chrome? Mr. Palmer states they should be chrome, but the pics don't support that.

2) Should the case studs and nuts, case bolt and cylinder base stud nuts truly be cad plated?

3) Should the cylinder base studs be parkerized?

4) Finally, I definitely have a '56 speedo with the day glo green numbers, light gold lower and black upper. It is what was originally supplied on the bike, or so I was told. Will I get spanked by the judges on this?

Thanks for your help!
    This should answer your questions.
    Bruce has a lot of errors in the book. Mostly due to not being given enough time by the publisher to have it properly proofed.
    Another thing to remember is that the type of finish on hardware changed along with suppliers.

Last edited by Chris Haynes; 08-23-2008, 02:51 PM.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X