oil viscosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil viscosity

I have all heard to use 60 w oil in old bikes especially here in texas where we see 90 -100 degree weather all summer long, however I have often questioned the need for such heavy oil. If you convert Harleys original "heavy use oil" you actually are closer to a straight 50w. Could it be the old" bigger is better" philosophy in action , or do these old machines really need the oil that heavy. I would imagine that starting these engines cold with straight 60 is a bit hard on the rods, cases, etc...Remember, thinner oil cools better, thicker oild holds its viscosity longer. I'm sure there are plenty of good opinions out there, and I would love to here from you. And...what of multiviscosity oil? A factory engineer at the daytona exhibition told me that 20w-50 would actually be excellent for the old bikes and would actually thicken up past its 50w margin....any opinions???

20-50W oil is used for aircraft piston engines. Large displacemnt, air cooled engines. Aeroshell is one brand. Dont see why old aircooled motorcycle engines would suffer using similar oil.
    Steve

Comment

Last time I asked my Harley dealer this question he told me that Harley has never recommended multi-vis oils for pre evo motors. Nobody could tell me why exactly so I tried 20W-50 in my shovel. Oil consumption went up and my hydraulic lifters became noisy (which could have just been a coincidence, lifter problems aren't rare). I didn't really see an advantage so I switched back. I believe that a 20W-50 oil is the same viscosity as an SAE 20 oil at low temperatures. Harley recommended thinner oil for winter use but not that thin.

Comment

Working...
      X