wires into coil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wires into coil question

what is the best temp to put my coil in the oven to put the wires in. While my wife if out this morning I want to get this done.

How could I be sure the wire goes in deep enough to be seated correctly?

thanks

moose
    Moose
    aka Glenn

Glenn!

A heat lamp will give you a little more control, and keep your marriage intact.

Leave it upright at all times, and allow it to cool after the potting tar inside has settled to the bottom from melting. Then you can cut out plugs of the 'tar' with a cork borer or a sharpened piece of tubing of the same size as your wires.

One will go very deep, and one will only go half-way.
    Miraculously, they usually work better than many repops right out of the box.

Tesla lives.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Coil Plug Leads

May I suggest a way that works best for me. I use a 6 volt battery charger hooked up directly to the primary terminals (6 v. coil) for about twenty minutes. you want to warm up the inside more so than the out side. This method is a must on the earlier coils with the painted or varnished bakelight jackets that could blister from external heat and also result in poor heat transfer to the windings and tar. Just a good method learned from other old timers...Joe.
      Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

thanks

i'm giving it a try. but do have a spare just in case but not an original one
        Moose
        aka Glenn

Comment

Heat it in boiling water.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

heated in the oven at 150 cleaned out some of the tar with a copper pipe put in the wires and got it started last night
            thanks all

now the fun begins after 44 year sitting idle it has a new life see pictures in its alive
            Moose
            aka Glenn

Comment

Working...
            X