oil gusher.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil gusher.

Went for my 2nd ride on my newly rebuilt '65 FLH today, after sorting some carb issues. The ist ride yesterday, after some run in time on the bench was 8 miles, and went good, except for the carb problem. After a 20 mile ride today, things seemed good. Came back out to tighten something and found a nightmare. It had puked a whole bunch of oil out the breather. I retraced my route, and this was going on for miles. No other oil leaks. So what the hey?? HELP!!!!!!
    Mike

Also, this didn't happen when it was started, so I don't think it would be the check ball. It was still pumpimg oil back to the tank after this, so at least I don't think my brand spankin' rebuilt motor got hurt. And I really did want to get it over to Wauseon this weekend for Panhead days. This sucks!
    Mike

Comment

does your 65 have the rear chain oiler? If so what is the adjustment? if I remember right the chain oiler hose and the motor vent are the same. This would most likely only pump out oil once the RPMs picked up.
      Brian
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Something in the oil pump is working intermittently.
        Mike

Comment

Mike!

A sheared key can catch and slip intermittently;
          Sounds like it is on the return side.

Good luck,

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Just to wrap this up. The oil pump gasket had broken on installation, and just let oil go haywire inside the motor. Replaced it, and I have 500 miles on it now, and it seems OK. You just never know, until you take it apart sometimes.
            Mike

Comment

Working...
            X