65 FL oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 FL oil leak

anyone tell me why oil would be leaking out the breather tube, through the bottom of the motor.
    this just happened tonight, dumped about a cup or more of oil through it after starting and now it's spitting oil out.
    checked the oil tank and oil is returning to it

Sumping

65eglide!

Did this occur after the machine has sat for a few weeks?

It is extremely common for the ball check in the oilpump to allow seepage. After a period of time, it fills the cases to where it must bleed out the sprocket shaft into the primary.
    (You aren't running a belt drive seal, are you? If so, the motor can completely fill!)

When the machine is started, the pool of oil in the cases is forced into the breather cavity to puke out the breather vent.

The cure is either to ride more often, or service the pump. This merely means a new spring and ball, and a quick burnishing of the ballcheck seat.

Good luck!

...Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

well here's the situation, I trailer it up to laconia and rode it around for a few days, sat a few days then trailer it back home, started it up to get it into the garage. the next day after working on and electrical issue. I started it let it run for a few minutes and after returnng to the garage a few minutes later I noticed about a cup of oil underneath the bike. I'm assuming it was coming out of the breather, after starting it again I could see it spitting out oil a little. shut it down once more. this morning went to start it and did not see any oil underneath the bike, ran it around the block for a few minutes and returned home, shut it off still no oil underneath. the bike has been runing fine. It was a little low on oil before it dumped the oil out, checked to make sure it was returning to the oil tank and it was and no oil light was on

Comment

Sounds like a case of trailer flu. Ride it for a few days until the virus clears up and she'll be good to go.
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
        X