Harley Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Rims

Can anybody give me more understanding on how to read Kelsey-Hayes rim production dates? Thanks, Bob
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

In the 40's and at least early 50's they were marked by the corners of the rim size stamp, kinda at a diagonal. A single number for the month at one corner and a double digit at the other for the year. By the early 70's this had changed to a more traditional date code stamped off to the side like 7-70 for example.
    Brian
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

what would be the correct rim for '64 FL

How can I distinguish the proper rim for a 64 FL?

THX
      Dan Margolien
      Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
      Www.yankeechapter.org
      Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

The short dumb answer is the rim should be chrome and 16" in diameter. Of coarse it would be a Kelsey Hayes manufactured rim. I don't know the answer to this part of 16" rim history but at some point 16" rims changed to a a safety bead rim. If you examine an early 16" rim you will notice that the middle step in the rim is straight across. To my knowledge, all 16" rims now manufactured have a safety bead formed into that middle step, which is a slight depression formed into that middle step. It is my understanding that the safety bead was designed to capture the edge of the tire so that the tire bead couldn't move under side loads. As I said, I don't know when that feature was added and It's difficult to see in photographs. I'm sure someone here knows when K-H added that feature.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Also of note, at some point, around 62 or so I believe, the very outer edge of the rim was changed. The edges of these rims are rolled around back toward the center very noticably. This may or may not have been done at the same time the safety bead was added.
          Brian
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

The early 16" rims to 1961 have numbers stamped arounf the K-H logo. Single digit indicates the month and the double is year. 1962 to 1971? rims have the part number with the 62 suffix and no date code. Somewhere in the early seventies the rims have an additional dip in the part of the rim between the bead and the drop center.
            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I have 3 K-H rims. All are marked, and look the same. The year dates are 49 52 and 54. Hope this helps.
              Mike

Comment

The correct rim for your '64 will have a -62 Harley part number stamped into it.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Do you know what years they did that Chris? I don't know if the K-H rims I have are even for Harley. Since they are all early 50's, could they be for some other brand? Does anyone know about this? And since getting them re-chromed costs so much, would the ones I mentioned be proper on my '65? Would they look exactly proper, once the tire is mounted?
                  Mike

Comment

enough spam for inmo 9393

ANYONE OUT THERE WATCHING AND CAN DO SOMETHING
                    Moose
                    aka Glenn

Comment

Spam

The rims I believe from 1962 and on had a part # on the outside visible area as for a DOT standard. Still Cadmium plated spokes and nipples. The rims were not fully chromed completely across as the center spoke area seemed to be much duller in appearance. Merlin

Comment

Originally posted by Magic View Post
                        The rims I believe from 1962 and on had a part # on the outside visible area as for a DOT standard. Still Cadmium plated spokes and nipples. The rims were not fully chromed completely across as the center spoke area seemed to be much duller in appearance. Merlin
                        You can't partially chrome a part. The center simply was not given the heavy poilishing before plating.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Details

Wording , Merlin in Pa.

Comment

What about Indian rims? I saw a repro Indian rim that has a very nice edge (not rolled back) and virtually no depression for the safety bead feature. Cost was reasonable and chrome was beautiful. Can I use a Chief rim on my star hubs?
                            Ralph

Comment

Working...
                            X