No announcement yet.

Who builds a 100 point wiring harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who builds a 100 point wiring harness?

I am restoring a '48 Panhead and I need a wiring harness built thats as close to original as possible. I do not have the original harness to use as a template. Can anyone help!!
    Hank Fisher, AMCA #2940

It's fun getting wired!!

I have used the repros from V-Twin - I think that Bruce Lindsay makes them (?). The ends are not correct for some models that used the "Flag" ends, but Old Dude has the correct ends which can be used in lieu of the ones as received. Two of the bikes, one a '48FL, using them have gone through Senior judging to Winners Circle and I never heard a peep about the wiring.

For the correct ends, please refer to the Palmer book.

Good luck.

Lonnie C from SC
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

48 pan wireing

Any one have a routing diagram for wireing on 48 Pans? Palmers book has pictures of
      knucklehead wireing but not 48 pans. The diagrams and routing on 49 and up pans were different also. I have figured out where the wires go, but need to know how to route the cables to get there..............Thanks Rod

Comment

We routed the wiring on the '48 the same as the '47 knuckle - correct or not, everything cleared as it should and it made it through judging with no deductions there. You mention cables - you are most likely aware that the '48 pan is a one-year-only on the throttle cable bracket and on the arm on the linkert - the cable comes in and down at an angle. Note that the Palmer book in the photos of the linkert arms shows 5 arms but mentions only 4 in the caption. I think the first one on the left must be Indian or something, the '48 is the second from the left.

Lonnie C. from SC
        Lonnie Campbell #9908
        South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Lonnie,
          Thanks for the info. I was told that the Hummer Emporium would build me an exact wiring harness, (100pt), but they don't have a phone number and they don't return my e-mails. I will contact Clete at Old Dude and do it myself. As for the '48 carb control coil bracket, I have some terrific reproductions made in the USA. They even have the tooling marks like the originals. I have included a picture of one mounted.
          My '48 had the original carb on it with the third lever from the left, as pictured in Palmers book, pg. 246???? and my '47 Knuck has the second from the left???? The one that Palmers book states as a '48 would not work, (I tried one), due to the severe angle of the control wire.
          Attached Files
          Hank Fisher, AMCA #2940

Comment

I purchased a harness for my '47 Knuck from hummer emporium off ebay because I thaught I was getting a deal. The thing is nowear near correct. The flags are brass not copper, they are the wrong shape and poorly made. If I was you I would buy one off Bruce Lindsay. I used one of his on my '47wl I had to change some flags because he uses the later style flags to keep the price of the harness down. But they may be correct for your bike. My WL is a winner's circle bike and I have never had a question about my wiring during judging. I will not use the hummer emporium harness and I went back to Bruce.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!!
              I will order the one that Bruce makes today and make the modifications to it myself.
              Hank Fisher, AMCA #2940

Comment

I am also restoring a '48 pan, except mine went through a barn fire. Needless to say, I don't have much left to work with. It sounds like Bruce's harness is the way to go, where can I order one from?
                Josh Richardson
                1948 EL Panhead
                www.GrandpasHarley.com

Comment

I ordered mine from Clete at Old Dude. They have most all of the pieces/parts that you might need for your restoration, plus they are great people!! http://www.olddude.com
                  Hank Fisher, AMCA #2940

Comment

Working...
                  X