front wheel problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front wheel problems

any know what would cause the rim of the brake drum attached to the wheel to rub up against the backing plate. seems to matter how i get this wheel on it rubs against it. I also can't seem to get the wheel to line up straight, if you tighten the axle nut to much to basically locks the wheel from rotating ?

Need more info, what bike?, What year?, which wheel?, Which spacers? Or detailed photos!
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The backing plate itself is more prone to distortion than the rest of the assembly.

I gave up on one of my '65 backing plates, even after carefull straightening in a press.
      (Not that I threw it away, of course. Luckily I had a spare until I could find a way to massage the offending plate. I hope to live so long as to get back to it!)

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

well it a 65 fl front wheel, there are no spacers on the front axle. didn't seem to rub at all until
        i had the drum resurfaced, it needed new wheel bearings as the timken replacements that where on there were and abortion, as it chewed up the axle. So the new axle is not the same, I'm thinking that it now needs spacers. I put both axles side by side and there is a out a 1/2 inch difference on the way it mounts. If move the wheel all the way in to the stop. the end of the new axles is just even with the fork caps, and there should be about 1/2 overhang

Comment

Working...
        X