aluminum pushrod covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum pushrod covers

In the restoration of my 1963 and 1965 panhead I had noticed that the valve covers were an anodized aluminum. It allowed the user to forego polishing upkeep and maintained a shimmery appearance. However it scratches very easily and cannot be polished back once this happens. But what few people realize and you hardley ever see on a restored bike of this era is the anodized aluminum pushrod covers. I am curious as to when they were actuallly introduced. If they started with the pan valve covers it was probably 1958? Does anyone have any insight to these? Most became very ugly as they were scratched resulting in people throwing them away and replacing them with chrome covers right away. Over time habit tends to result in the "new" standard. Does anyone remember?

Anodized pushrod covers

I just finished the restoration of my 1962 FLH before the Eustis, FL meet and one of the hardest pieces to find were aluminum pushrod covers in good enough shape to restore. A friend in Illinois found a set and sent them to me and I found a local anodizer who could match the finish exactly. I also had the pan covers done at the same time and match perfectly. It was not cheap, but well worth it. I will try to post a few pictures and maybe some video if I can figure it out.

Comment

Thanks for the info Kris, I'm glad I'm not alone in this dilemma. Jeff

Comment

aluminum pushrod covers

Hi Jeff, I just tried to up load a picture and was told it was to big, I will take a few more at a lower setting and some video and try again!

Comment

anodized aluminum valve covers

Hey, can I get the name of the anodizer who did the valve covers or any other anodizer who can do the job correctly?

Thanks, Rick.
          Rick Anderson

Comment

aluminum pushrod covers

here is a picture of the pan covers that match the pushrod covers.
            Attached Files

Comment

aluminum pushrod covers

finally, a picture that was small enough!
              Attached Files

Comment

Pan covers

QUOTE=rick anderson;66666]Hey, can I get the name of the anodizer who did the valve covers or any other anodizer who can do the job correctly?

Thanks, Rick.
                Rick Anderson

Comment

Aluminum Pushrod Covers

Hi Rick, I will dig through my paperwork when I get a day off and talk to the plater to see if he would like more business. You would think he would!!
                  Kris

Comment

Aluminum Pushrod Covers

Hi Rick,
                    I finally got by to the plater yesterday and asked if he would mind if I posted his info and he said that would be great. He also has a web site to go to. It is www.melimarfinishing.com.
                    His name is Manfred Rosenow. Make sure you mention the AMCA when you talk to him. The process I used is Clear Anodizing. You can send your parts already polished or he can polish them, it is up to you.
                    I hope this helps you and anyone else looking for this.
                    Kris
                    Ps. His phone is 954-327-5788.

Comment

So what's proper for pushrod covers? What years were anodized and which were chrome? Or were they all anodized as stock? My 65 has chrome pushrod covers. The rocker covers look anodized.
                      Ray
                      AMCA #7140

Comment

All very good questions, and an excellent research subject. The parts books dont seem to mention the material....but since the tubes scratched so quickly from maintainance they may have become an eyesore and were discarded earlier than the pans...i have noticed that you see more of the pan covers at the swap meets than aluminum tubes....and you would think that you might see a glutton of them if they werent pretty and made all those years...jeff
                        Last edited by jorrow; 06-08-2008, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Can we nail down the exact years for aluminum pushrod covers?

TIA,

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776
                          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                          X