star hub conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• star hub conversion

Looking for the web site or person that converts star hubs to modern style bearings.Can anybody help?

The original design only worked for the thirty years that was coincidentally H-D's golden era.

Do you really think a "conversion" is an improvement?

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten,
      Awhile back there was a similar thread and you had mentioned using a 45 rod race for repair. I'd never thought of that, but it looks possible. Was wondering how you trued and sized the race after you press it in? Also, it looks like you're removing a good bit of metal from that end of the hub, is this repair actually durable enough for regular service?
      Brian
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

First, let me remind everyone that the only practical means of replacing both ends of the hub and still retaining the original axle, etc., is available from http://flatlandmotorcyclecompany.com/intro/.

On to Brian's question about the amount of metal removed to install a 45" rod race, I can only point out that it is less than needed for a Timken that would accept a reasonable axle.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Alternatives?? 2 questions...

I had a set of original hubs for my '41 converted to Timkens by Jim Harvey, conversion uses original axle. These seem to be great, no issues. His website is no longer up - does anyone know if he is still doing these?

Also, I talked to a machinist and he said that it is possible to mill out the old races in the hub and replace with an insert to utilize the original-style standard rollers. Is he correct?

Thanks,

Lonnie C from SC
          Lonnie Campbell #9908
          South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Lonnie... My understanding is that Jim no longer offers his star hub re-work service. I'd heard his machinist moved on to greener pastures and the demand for the service did not justify him hiring a new machinist. -Steve
            ------------
            Steve
            AMCA #7300

Comment

If I knew the specs, both on the machining of the hub and of the bearings themselves, I know a local machinist who might be willing to do the conversion. Thanks for the update, though.

Lonnie C from SC
              Lonnie Campbell #9908

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Thanks Cotten, Most of the ones I have and see around just need the small end fixed anyway. So after I press it in, do I just true it up with a 45 rod lap? Any tips or tricks on keeping in line with the race on the other end? As for timkens, I can't say I like em that much as wheel bearings in bikes that were designed for em. An increase in thrust alwys has a coresponding increase in radial play also.
                Brian
                Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Brian!
                  The hub must be bored to accept any race at a press fit, and then honed to accept caged rollers. A Sunnen will keep it just as concentric and straight as it would a connecting rod.
                  Lapps are less than practical, even if if it did have a pilot to align it.

Lonnie!
                  Where did Jim get Timkens that accept a Pan or earlier axle at both dimension? No such thing exists in my Timken spec book (albeit ancient). Perhaps he had them bored? If so, how will they be replaced in the future?
                  (I haven't talked to him since he left Chicago to live in a teepee or whatever.)

Installing Timkens would also require an exact internal spacer. Anyone who has dealt with modern wheels knows how much fun those can be.
                  45PartsDepot's conversion retains the original thrustwasher design for adjusting endplay. Any conjuring beyond that is truly "re-inventing the wheel".

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

mystery to me...

Tom:

I have no idea how Jim (now living in Johnson Valley, California) did the conversion - Star Hub Pros was the company name. He did two for me and several more for fellow club members. Four of these hubs are on the road, my two only recently, with no issues - stock (original H-D) axles slipped right in. I do remember him saying that there was machining to the hub but what that involved I do not know.

Lonnie C from SC
                    Lonnie Campbell #9908

Comment

Working...
                    X