Springer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springer

This is probably not the place for this post but it does relate to a 1948 BT springer. I finished repairing and painting the offset springer for a '48 FL and now I'm getting ready to compress it for assembly. I plan to make a tool that will pull down on the top springs so I can get the nuts on. Is this the way to do this or would you do it in a drill press or just push the nuts down by hand. I've used a drill press in the past but I don't want to risk hurting the paint. I haven't messed with a H-D springer in 20+ years and the last time I did this I pushed the nuts on by hand. I don't have the muscle or the will to do that anymore.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Eric.
    I use a big G clamp be careful as it can slip, you can make simple attachments to stop it slipping.
    Pete.

Comment

I built a tool that utilizes a 'U' with a hole thru it that straddles the bridge of the spring fork and then has a threaded rod that threads into the top of the 'U' and then goes up thru the center hole of the spring perch of the rigid fork.

Jerry

Comment

The fastest and easiest way I have found is to use a ratcheting cargo strap. Protect the paint with some cloth under the strap and crank it up. It is also a good idea to wrap the lower portion of the legs until you assemble the rockers to them.
        Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I'm a carpenter, I use a large woodworking bar clamp with a rubber pad under the jaws.
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

These are all great ideas. I mentioned how I have pushed the springs down by hand in the past. I forgot to mention that I didn't have any of the inner springs in. Back in those days, I didn't know they used inner springs.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I've done this in the past. I take no responsibility if damage or personal injury results. Partially compress the outer springs in a vise. Use heavy duty plastic tie wraps/zip ties to retain in the compressed position. Position tie wraps equidistantly around the spring. At least four tie wraps per spring. The more the merrier. Assemble springer. Cut and remove tie wraps ... Perry

Comment

BOING....I like it.
                Brian
                Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I used Sears Craftsman Strut Spring Compressor Tool

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ing+compressor
                  \'77 Sportster
                  \'68 FLH
                  \'61 Super 10
                  \'56 Servicar
                  \'59 Hummer

Comment

We build springers daily and up until I got my new custom made high tech C-clamp, I used....believe it or not....an H-D tie-down strap used in their motorcycle shipping containers. I wrap it around the spring perch and under the spring fork using two small towels so as to not damage the finish where the strap would touch....then ratchet it down until it takes just a little pressure to push the top spring down to install the spring nut. Takes me less than 15 minutes to completely assemble a fork start to finish. With the new C-clamp.....about 10 minutes.....

Comment

Ratfink I use the same thing. Works great. Bob
                      AMCA #3149
                      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Spring Compression

Just finished doing the offset springer on my 48. After kicking it around for a few hours it hit me. I put the axel in and used one of the racheting tie down straps made of woven fabric, it worked like a charm and didn't mar the new paint one bit. Hope this helps. Bud

Comment

Working...
                        X