48 pan brake linkage problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 pan brake linkage problem

I am restoring a 48 pan and have installed new linkage for the rear brake pedal which interfers with the floorboard mounting bolt. I have tried mounting the linkage rod from the pedal to the shaft plate several different ways but it still rubs, any suggestions?

are there 3 mount holes on pedal arm? and is rod (s) shaped,if it is mount to lower hole,then position adj. rod so shaft will not rub on rear floor board support,both ends of rod should be adjustable.
    Ken S., # 6457
    1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
    1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

When you say "new linkage", if you mean reproduction take a lookd at how the short rod is formed. It's hard to describe (for me) but the rod has two bends in the same direction but one of the bends is also to the side. A friend recently bought one of the parkerized rods from V-Twin and it only had the straight bends and would not work. "Old Dude" has the correct rod though clearance even on the original rods is tight.
      Lonnie Campbell #9908
      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Mark,
        I am also restoring a '48 Panhead. How strange, today I installed the rear brake pedal on my bike. The front rod has two bends to it, a short and a long section. Make sure the "short" bend is towards the pedal. Since there are two bends to the rod, you can rotate it away from the floorboard bracket. Also make sure you are connecting it to the correct hole. The lowest hole is for the return spring. Second hole towards the edge of the pedal is for the brake rod. The top hole is for a sidecar brake lock. Hope this helps.
        Attached Files
        Hank Fisher, AMCA #2940

Comment

thanks for the assitance with the brake rod it seems to fit, now a different problem. I bought a brake light swith from V-twin, of course it has no installation instructions. I seems that it would mount on the frame where the rear mount for the floor board attaches to the frame. However I don't have a clue where the spring attaches, it comes with both a spring and a thin connecting rod. It also has an attachment bracket for the spring that attaches to a rod but doesn't seem to fit any where, any clues as to how to attach this to the brake pedal. I tried attaching the think connnecting rod to the lower hole in the brake pedal but it won't stay secure. Help!!!!!!

Comment

The brake switch mounts to the hole in front of the brake crossover shaft tube and the spring and wire attach to a bracket that mounts on the double bend rod.

Jerry

Comment

The brake light switch mounts to the same bolt that holds the "S" pipe on, with a longer bolt and a spacer. You do have the spacer right? You need it so get it if you don't. The clamp goes on the rod in the mid section between the bends and adjusts to allow the pull wire and spring to pull the switch on as the pedal is depressed. It also does double duty as a brake lock when mounted against the floorboard mount, although I don't know anyone who uses it for that. It was supposed to help with taking the rear lug bolts out.
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Mark,
                I'm a picture tells a thousand words kinda guy, here's a photo of the switch on my '48. Hope this helps.
                Attached Files
                Hank Fisher, AMCA #2940

Comment

Working...
                X