panhead bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panhead bolts

Restoring a 64 Pan to stock. Trying to determine placement of bolts. How do you know where 1035 CP, 1038 CP, and Circle F bolts go on the bike. Would also like to know what these three markings mean. Can anyone provide info?

Thanks

Hello, I'm not at home now but maybe able to assist. The H-D parts book for your era H-D will list the bolts,nut,washers etc. by part # Then look at www.olddude.com their website for just one good reference as they sell very high quality replacement hardware by the H-D part # for your M/C You may already know this info and if not you'll like dealing with them if need be. Yes there are other dealers as well online or at meets, I'm just use to the ease, good service and reference of their website. Also look into Palmers H-D restoration Manual. Keep Riding Them, Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Thanks Magic,

I will be at Oley in April and be sure to check out Old Dude. Does anybody out there know what the markings stand for on the bolts?

Comment

Don't know for sure but I have heard 2 theories on the CP markings.

1. Supposedly those bolts were made by Chandler Products somewhere in Ohio and the 1035 and 1038 are there numbers.

2. That the CP stands for carbon points which is a method of measurement for degree of hardness.

The CP bolts start appearing I believe with the increase of production that went with the war effort and HD farmed them out. Prior to this they turned them out on their own screw machines. I believe you will see them on the bikes in certain places as late as the early 1970's.

Don't know if either is correct.
        Jerry

Comment

Thanks Jerry,

It all sounds good but still sounds like it's a mystery. I was kind of guessing the CP stood for Cad Plated. But this was my un educated guess.

Comment

C-p does stand for chandler products. The numbers are some sort of grade marking I beleive. the 1035 bolts are earlier, they were out of use by about 1950 . having been superceded by the 1038. Not sure when the circle F was first used or where, but 1038 bolts seem to still have been in use in the late 60's early 70's. Beware your parts book hardware listing, they often list hardware in the wrong finish, or an updated part # . Remember they were printed to help the dealer repair bikes in the most cost effective manor ( for the dealer, maybe not the customer), and as such don't necessarily represent what was hapening on the production line.
            Brian

Comment

Thanks for the info Brian,

So it sounds like if I have 1035 bolts on my 64 FLH this is incorrect. I will need to look closer, but I thought I remenmber seeing some.

Comment

I had some 'F in a Circle' Bolts, most 'CP 1038' but no 'CP 1035' on my 58...

Comment

There is a manufacturer currently producing bolts with the head marking being a F inside a circle. I do not know if that is the manufacturer of the bolts in question. The manufacturer I refer to is:

FENBAR PRECISION MACHINISTS, INC
                  633 COMMERCE STREET
                  THORNWOOD, NY 10594-1348

I seem to remember also seeing bolts like this on GM engines of the 60's.

Lonnie C from SC

Comment

Here is a lDepartment of Defense website that lists all manufacturers identification symbols for those interested"

http://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksear...t_number=66904

Comment

T Jacobs. 1038 for your bike is right. CP bolts were already on the phase out by 1964. My 1965 XLCH is a 50/50 mix. Almost all the bolts on your sled were cad plated. Then again I can’t remember that many parkerized bolts on my 1960 FLH. As for the F in the circle. This was an oddball bolt. If I remember proper it had a 7/16” wide X 3/8” high head on a 5/16-18 shank. The only place I can remember it being used was on the spotlight and police light brackets. It was probably cheaper to get them from another vender than have Chandler tool up. Most likely we will never know. Bob
                      AMCA #3149
                      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Thamks,

Everyones input has given me clues to the right direction.

Comment

The Circle F, or Foster bolts, are usually used for mounting the windshield. Most other common bolts should be CP, for Chandler Products. 1038. Special H-D hardware is machine turned and not marked.
                          Be sure to visit;
                          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                          X