love that pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• love that pan

Being that it's Valentines Day and I've already gone through the obligatory Hallmark holiday B.S. with my wife, I thought I would pay some tribute to the best motorcycle I have ever owned.

I got this motorycle in the late 80's and I can thank Bruce Palmer for inspiring me to consider a Pan. I was at a swap meet, telling Bruce that I was in the market for a newer H-D dresser. At the time I didn't have a rider because all of my bikes were dismantaled antiques. He wondered why I would want a new Harley when a panhead would do the same things only with more class. It was an epiphany for me, like a ray of sunlight comming through the clouds. Also, swapmeets were knee deep in panhead parts in those days. I went looking for early pans, asking everyone I knew. A friend of mine came up with a good lead that he got from a a drunk in a bar. This good ol' boy had a chopper that he didn't know what to do with and he was going through a divorce so it was excess baggage. I tracked this joker down and made the deal before he could change his mind. We had to go all over town to find all of the parts and I had to pay a bike shop storage fees for the motor that had been there for 2 years.

Once I got it home I could see what had been done to it. It was a backyard chopper that was built from one bike. The frame, engine, and transmission were right to each other but a lot of garbage was thrown into the mix. The big bonus was that the engine had never been opened up and it was still standard bore.

I knew I wanted to restore it so I went about finding the right '51 parts. The 1980's was the best time for doing this because swap meets were becoming very popular and old bikers were cleaning out years of accumulated parts. For instance, I got the rear fender for $25, adustable trees for $50, speedos for $5. Boy, do I miss those days. It didn't take long to find everything and the beauty part was that most of it was genuine H-D. Putting it together was a lot of fun and it really quite easy compared to that miserable KJ I was working on at that time. After a few motor set-backs I had it running. I learned not to set a motor up too tight but with careful break-in and patience it just ran better and better.

It did sidecar duty for a few years, we had a terrible accident together, it took my wife and I on beautiful morning rides to the beach, and it has never, and I mean NEVER left me on the side of the road. This bike has the best karma of any motorcycle I have ever owned.

Now it's getting a bit tired and that turquois color is getting a bit embarrassing so I think a trip to the motorcycle spa is in order. I plan to do a presentable restoration with an emphasis on riding quality. I think motorcycles of this vintage showed Harley Davidson at it's best and anyone who has an early rigded pan should be proud to have one of Milwaukee's finest.

Now that's Love

Comment

Eric, You have inspired me. I'm going to stop on the way home and get my valentine something special.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but when I get home later I'm going to give my girl a big hug and a pat on the ass for just being herself. Sometimes we both say and do things to each other we don't mean but we never let each other down. She's a definite keeper.
      Oh.....I'm going to get the wife something to.

Hey Eric, Is there a story behind that turquois color..? Doesn't really matter cause when its a panhead nobody notices the color.

Comment

Ohio-Rider, c.o., thanks for the comments. I always enjoy your posts by the way. I painted it turquois because that was a hip color in the 80's and 90's. Also, pink and turquois are Florida state colors. Actually, I saw a H-D 45 at a meet that was painted this color and for some reason the image of that bike got burned into my mind. I'm sure this must happen to a lot of people when they are envisioning the look of a motorcycle that's in process. It's next color is going to be something more sedate and from the H-D color catalog of that era.

Comment

Exeric, Great story!! Pans have always been on my hit list!They have class, unlike a new MC which in my opinion never will! Great choice and thanks for sharing the story with us !

Comment

What a beautiful motorcycle, and so nice to see one with correct seat and saddlebags. The bags seem to have come out great!!! And I like the paint color as well!!! Ride safe---Michael

Comment

Paquette, eventually those bags are going to find their way to your shop. Everything looks good in the picture but it's a bit "rough" when you see it in person. I like to regard rough, as character.

I wish more people would send in pictures of their bikes and give us a personal history. Those first hand accounts of people's rides are my favorite items on this forum. Also, I wish more of the older members would write about the good old days of motorcycling. There are some incredible stories out there that need to be passed on and this is one of the best places to do that. Everybody has at least one good motorcycle story !

Comment

Working...
              X